CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #291
carol
I don't have any more time to spare today (actually I ran out hours ago) and I don't want to just blurt out something that's not thought out, so let me get back to you on that, soon.

One statement I do have is this: Some mods might have burned you in the past, but it's my sincere belief that this thread is proof that this "doing nothing" business can burn much worse.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #292
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
Meanwhile, I'd be able to produce chat logs where your introductory comment is filled with so much whine - be it from your day at work, to a problem with one of your snakes, to your perception of the state of this site - that I'd be able to offer you some fine Wisconsin cheese to accompany it.
And just what does my 'whining' about work, or other things have to do with this thread, or you being a moderator? I mean, you only did bring this up after I simply said I was confused as to why Brent would nominate you as a mod....

Quote:
You've been a consistent whiny, childish cipher, so much to the point that one of my new neighbors (who has frequented this forum longer than either of us) has made the correlation - not necessarily the causation, but I'll let others be the judge - between the beginning of the lack of civility here on the forums with the beginning of your frequenting the forums.
Oh sure. My presence on the forums has brought it down the tubes. That makes sense, since every single one of my posts is useless whining, and I have no knowledge to contribute.

Quote:
Go for it. With you as mod, I'm sure we'd all be clamoring to be there, if not to simply say "I remember him when...", as we prop the grandchilluns up on our knee to tell them a story.
Funny, Jazz, since I can remember more than a few times where I made another Cornsnakes room and nobody complained about my moderating of that room.

Since you obviously have some personal agenda or issue with me, why not just voice it over a PM and not respond to my posts on this website anymore? Or, are you going to continue to set fine examples of civility on this website by taking repeated cheap ass pot shots at me in threads that have ZERO connection to this thread, or this issue? (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=2)

But hey, you've got that nice little smiley face there, so that makes it okay, right?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #293
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
And just what does my 'whining' about work, or other things have to do with this thread, or you being a moderator? I mean, you only did bring this up after I simply said I was confused as to why Brent would nominate you as a mod....
Prior to that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

You'd recommend Jazz to be a chat room moderator? There are quite a few chat logs that are floating around that show a display far worse than 'gtfo'. Of course, since he said 'sorry' he's in the clear??
Nowhere do I see the word "confused". You said you were playing "Devil's Advocate".

To be an advocate is to take a position, a stance; thus, you took a stance regarding my credentials as a mod in chat.

And gee, since the title of this thread - let's review it, just so you can keep current - is "Chat room - listen up, please", and you're taking a position regarding my abilities or lack thereof as a chat mod, and your whining about work is done in a (stay with me here) chat room, there's a certain relevance.

Evidence has shown that you're confused about the proper usage of the word "confused". I hope my explanation here hasn't confused you.

Quote:
Oh sure. My presence on the forums has brought it down the tubes. That makes sense, since every single one of my posts is useless whining, and I have no knowledge to contribute.
Every single one of your posts? Who made that claim?

Oh. You did.

Quote:
Funny, Jazz, since I can remember more than a few times where I made another Cornsnakes room and nobody complained about my moderating of that room.
As I said, go for it.

Quote:
Since you obviously have some personal agenda or issue with me, why not just voice it over a PM and not respond to my posts on this website anymore?
Please, get over yourself. My "agenda" with you is merely in response to your "agenda" with me. You take it upon yourself to be "Devil's Advocate" regarding me, and I'll take it upon myself to be an advocate for myself.

Quote:
Or, are you going to continue to set fine examples of civility on this website by taking repeated cheap ass pot shots at me in threads that have ZERO connection to this thread, or this issue? (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=2)
Aw, a little joke was made at your expense. Let me get a support group link for you.

As for the "ZERO" connection to this thread, or to you: a newbie introduced himself to the forum and mentioned that he also was getting a Jungle Carpet Python, a (GASP!) "non-corn" in a (DOUBLE GASP!!!) cornsnake forum. If this were done in chat, how would you have responded?

Oh yeah. That's kind of the topic of this thread.

As for the "fine example of civility", let's review:

• Keep it civil, and so will I. IMO, you took it over the edge by trying to claim that taking a position was being "confused" over Brent's post. You can't make an assertion, and then claim confusion. You're contradicting yourself, just as Rich recently PWND you when you claimed that the incident that was the impetus for this thread was the "first and only time" in chat, and then subsequently claimed that there are "quite a few logs" out there.
  • Once I've gotten to know someone and understand their tolerance for "give and take", some good-natured ribbing will ensue. If it goes too far on either end, I'd expect honest, bilateral communication about the transgression - to that end, if you care to take it to PM with any questions you may have about this post, I'd be happy to respond.
  • If there is obvious attitude, it will be returned in kind. If it escalates, I'll punch you in the soul.
A day or so ago, Mike Blickendorfer gave me a good hearted jab about my "polka" clip on the web. Do you think my response was to consider it a "cheap ass pot shot"? If I have ANY advice for you in this post, it's to lighten up; you'll stroke out before me, and I'm the old fart who's twice your age and on anticoagulants.

Quote:
But hey, you've got that nice little smiley face there, so that makes it okay, right?

I was ready to concede this point until you closed with an emoticon. You almost had me.

I'll give you a while to let the irony sink in.

regards,
jazz

Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #294
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Sorry, I need to jump ahead a bit to grab this quote from Joe...

Joe, I'm sorry, but I just don't understand these two quotes taken together at all. In the first one you are plainly stating that the incident shown in the chat log snippet is a FIRST and ONLY TIME that anything like that has happened. Actually when I read that, I thought, hmm, guess I had better see if I still have any of those other chat logs sent to me in the past. But I continued reading on, and darn if that later post of yours just has me beat. Let me requote that sentence that baffles me:

There are quite a few chat logs that are floating around that show a display far worse than 'gtfo'.

Well what happened to that original claim about uniqueness of this sort of behavior? Are you now saying that it is NOT unique at all? Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are saying in those quotes...
Let me start off by saying that for whatever role I've played (obviously a large one, since the 'gtfo' thing seems to be the bright shining beacon), I'm sorry. I cannot believe that this thread is 8 pages and almost 300 responses.

None of MY chat logs show a display worse than 'gtfo', or anything similar. I can't say the same for others, but that's not the point.

The point is that there are no chat logs where we 'jumped' a troll. Sure, there might be some 'banter' where we got fiesty after they actually did troll the room, but I do believe that is to be expected. And no, you shouldn't find any 'gtfos' in those logs.

Either way, this thread has run it's course and I'm not going to expend any extra energy into repeating the same thing, over and over.

This has become much more than just a chat discussion. Many have brought up other issues that should be discussed seperately and I'd encourage that to happen, instead of those issues getting stuck in this crap.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #295
CMLReptiles
The really sad part to me, is how badly the reputations of certain people have been damaged due to this thread, be it things they said in it or elsewhere. So much respect has been lost, and over something to f'ing trivial.

"The depth of human stupidity will never cease to amaze me, as the depths never cease"

Old 11-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #296
Joejr14
Quote:
Aw, a little joke was made at your expense. Let me get a support group link for you.
Boy, way to contribute something to the forums, Dale. You're sure boosting the 'civility' of the forums by posting a link that brings you to a flash animation of "You are an Idiot". Very mature, something I'd expect from someone who is 47 years old.

But again, this doesn't surprise me. These are the typical posts you make on this website. You suggested that I've essentially contributed nothing to this website, and that the downfall of civility is on my shoulders.

At the very least I can say that I've helped people out by creating a bunch of FAQ's. I've answered questions as honestly as possible based on expert advice and my personal dealings.

What have you done? Well, aside from posting links to big flashing screens calling people idiots, taking shots at people in other threads and trying to hide behind it as a """joke""""". Or maybe when someone asked a question about their snake and your very helpful reply was "your mother hates you!"

Or hell, what about this:

Quote:
clarinet45: i come in to talk to ppl and i get &*!@ing attacked
jazzgeek_CS: no, you're not fighting. You're just being a cunt.
But yes Dale, you'd make a GREAT chat room moderator. And hey, keep up the good fight on boosting the civility around here. Seems like we could all take lessons from you!

Quote:
This message is hidden because jazzgeek is on your ignore list.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #297
Rich Z
You know what? This crap is getting to me. I've been snapping at my wife all day long, and she's about ready to put a bullet through my computer. And maybe me.

Now other people are going at each other's throats here.

So screw all this. I'm locking this thread. If anyone comes up with an overpowering reason for me to reopen it, PM me. I might agree with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread