CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Hides~

Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
yellowbellyhippy
Question Hides~

So I have put hides on each side of the cage for Sid....He sleeps stretched out along the whole cage and never hides. Is this normal? ok? One thing I love about him is his consistency. He wakes up every night around 8 pm....ready for interaction.
Also, I handle him alot. More than 20 min's a day. I off and on handle from 8pm to 11 pm. Is this ok? He seems to enjoy it and doesn't like going back home.

Thoughts?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Teddy Roosevelt
How old is he?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
yellowbellyhippy
2 yrs...5ft

Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
jlindp
I think it's probably normal. My yearling which is a little over 2 feet is out and about much throughout the day. Sometimes she just curls up in the corner, even though she can fit perfectly well in both her hides! Maybe he just doesn't feel stressed or any need to hide? :}

Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
AshleyShadows
My yearling (and future lover of jlindp's yearling ;D) does that as well. He only uses his hide after eating and then it's just being sprawled out after that.

There's no one place that a corn snake needs to be. They know where they want to go, just like other animals and we do. Like...I know I technically "should" eat dinner at the dining room table, but I still eat on the couch.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
RosieReal
I've heard many times on here that hatchlings tend to be alot more nervous than larger snakes. perhaps your snake is simply comfortable in his world.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
ceduke
Sounds like he feels safe with you

Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
wendhend
You might want to check the surface temperature under the hide on your warm side. I have found that my snakes tend to stay out of their hides if the temperature gets too hot (over mid 90s). But maybe he's just really comfortable and doesn't feel much need to hide. I have some snakes that just stay out of their hides much more than others... and I enjoy being able to see more of them!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Emily1188
Sounds like a cool snake and great pet.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
wstphal
My Humphrey sometimes just stretches out along the back wall of his viv. He has a hot side hide, a cool side hide & various foliage along the back of the viv, and sometimes he is just in the foliage. Because he's an amel, he is CLEARLY visible when he is along the back. I don't think it's a temp thing. Cool side is 67-72, warm side is 82-87 (I have a rheostat so have to twiddle it).

Icabod seems to be ready to interact around 8 PM too. His head is poking out of whatever hide he's in at the moment at that time. Interesting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google