CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

A note about Sterilite containers

Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Susan
A note about Sterilite containers

The stores in my area don't seem to carry the size ranges of Tupperware I use for my snakes, so I've been using the less expensive Sterilite containers for years. Lately, however, I've been finding some problems with the lids...several don't close very well, if at all. It's my own fault for not checking each one when I buy it, but I've been buying them 20 at a time, and with a 3 yr old boy with me, checking each one just wasn't an option. I really like the containers with the locking lids, and plan on buying only those for the adults, but they don't make them in the smaller sizes. I just want to warn anyone else using this brand to double check to make sure the lid will close before purchasing it. I've had no problems with Sterilite in the past. I think a bad batch of warped lids went out and I got stuck with them. More than one size was affected. I had to go back to the store and exchange them before I had excaped snakes and hatchlings.

Old 04-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
Kat
That is what metal clips are for... You know, the ones used for holding thicker stacks of paper? You can find them in the office supply section.

-Kat

Old 04-15-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
VegasGhost
They are called "binder clips"...I use them all the time at work and at home....they are on my snakes cages even though they really don't need to be...just being extra careful. Also, a lot of them seemed to have disappeared and I found that my boyfriend was using the extra ones to hold long extension cords together, keeping chip bags closed, etc...I guess you can always find a use for them anywhere.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
CAV
Another Sterilite note

If you plan on using them in a rack system without lids, be aware that they have a "cut out" section above the handles on the rim. This doesn't present a problem for larger snakes, it does leave a gap big enough for a small fry to squeeze through. I actually had a 22" creamsicle escape recently. I solved the problem easily with a thin cardboard cover and continue to use them without further incident.

Old 04-16-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Melinie
Tupperware/Sterilite Containers

I also use plastic containers for some of my reptiles.
The long, low 'underbed' types are GREAT!
Especially the ones with the split-lift lids that have a locking handle on each end. My reptiles (Corns & Uromastyx Lizards) seem very comfortable in them. For the Uro's, I used a Dremel tool to cut out most of the lid on one side, drilled small holes around the opening, and wired in some wire mesh. Better air flow and a place to set heat/basking/UV bulbs.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
rprimeau95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinie View Post
I also use plastic containers for some of my reptiles.
The long, low 'underbed' types are GREAT!
Especially the ones with the split-lift lids that have a locking handle on each end. My reptiles (Corns & Uromastyx Lizards) seem very comfortable in them. For the Uro's, I used a Dremel tool to cut out most of the lid on one side, drilled small holes around the opening, and wired in some wire mesh. Better air flow and a place to set heat/basking/UV bulbs.
in using the under bed tubs like this you can't use a heating pad right for the corns that is what they need right?

Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
Matt L
Susan,
I have had the same problem with the 1856 sterelite bins. I lost one snake because of it. Purchasing them 20 at a time without a 3 year old is still quite a challenge. I got pretty creative trying to fit all of them in one cart.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
cornsnakeforsale_com
One of those cracked a little on me and I lost a snake that way. Probably could happen with any plastic containers though. Overall they're nice though, but I do agree, take a look at the lids and tops first.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Emanon
Holy thread dig batman!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
ratsncorns
Yeah, this thread is 9 years old