CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

What kinds of snakes eat rabbits?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #31
wstphal
IF the snake is healthy, it's probably a good deal. Can you borrow a truck? Or rent one for the day? I rented a pickup once for about the same price as a car, BTW, so renting a pickup truck doesn't have to be expensive.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
carnivorouszoo
19.5x22.5x29.5" Those are the measurements for the cage. Somehow it doesn't sound big enough for this snake. I think she said its a 3 year old female, I deffinitely remember its female but not sure of the age. If I get it I may resell the cage after building a bigger one. Unless you think this cage size should be ok? Here is a link to her ad there is a pic of the snake and the cage in the ad.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/2056050682.html

The ad does not have a lot of the info I have gotten, most of what I have been told has been via email.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #33
ShenziSixaxis
If the snake is tame you may want to chomp down on that hook. However, carpets are NOT arboreal, so the caging isn't best. Worth keeping if you want something arboreal to show off though.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #34
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
THIS
You need a Carpet python.
Lots of really cool one's out there for you to choose from.....
And addictive..
You really should do it..
You will not regret it.
Honest.
I second this! I <3 my carpets!!
(I have a Jungle, an IJ Jag, & the rest are IJ's)

Quote:
You got some good guys on your side of the pond...
Nick Mutton is 'helpful'
Yasser at spitfire reptiles....
Lots..
Try
moreliapythons.com
Have a good look at what's available before jumping in...
You really won't be sorry..
BTW.. Carpets are relatively new... So morphs are still being worked out....
I am pretty lucky to have both Nick & Jasser living in my state. I do not have any snakes from them, but they are both well know here.
the moreliapythons website is an awesome place to learn about them, see various carpets for sale, & meet other carpet peeps. (I have the same user name over there).
Luke, (Blueisola) has some gorgeous snakes & has a great reputation. I will be getting babies from Luke.

If you want to go with a Jaguar type carpet, check out Jasser's snakes. Nick gets some very cool species imported, & he keeps several different types of snakes. It all depends on what you want to get. You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned breeders. I can give you more names of breeders in the US if you want.

That cage pictured in the CL might be on the small side, it's hard to tell. Otherwise, the style of cage looks just fine to me.

Carpets vary, & are often semi-arboreal.

Most carpets are pretty friendly, they are pretty interactive. Babies are often bitey like corn snakes. Once they get bigger, they pretty much mellow out.
They often have a stronger feeding response than corns do, from what I have seen in my carpets.

It would be a good idea to find out what species of carpet that one is, if you're considering getting it. Coastals get a lot bigger than IJ's (generall)...some IJ's can get pretty big, but in general, they're the smallest of the carpets.

Carpets are awesome snakes & you will love them!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #35
Floof
That's 20x23 inches of floorspace. The height is pretty decent, but even one of your adult corns would be cramped in less than 2x2 ft of floor space, and carpets are much bigger and tend to be much more active. So, yes, the cage is going to be too small for an adult carpet.

I'd be a little skeptical of the woman's knowledge, and the snake's supposed good health, if her idea of a good custom cage for an adult carpet is so small. If you decide to get the carpet, find out what it's eating. I hear a lot about carpets that are die-hard mouse addicts, and starting with one addicted to mice or some other can be tough to deal with, especially when you go to try switching it to another prey item, be it rats or rabbits.

Shenzi--As a matter of fact, Carpets are known for tending toward quite arboreal. Not as arboreal as their cousins, Green Tree Pythons, but they spend a fair amount of time up off the ground. The arboreal arrangement of the enclosure is actually quite appropriate for a carpet.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #36
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
I second this! I <3 my carpets!!
(I have a Jungle, an IJ Jag, & the rest are IJ's)

I am pretty lucky to have both Nick & Jasser living in my state. I do not have any snakes from them, but they are both well know here.
the moreliapythons website is an awesome place to learn about them, see various carpets for sale, & meet other carpet peeps. (I have the same user name over there).
Luke, (Blueisola) has some gorgeous snakes & has a great reputation. I will be getting babies from Luke.

If you want to go with a Jaguar type carpet, check out Jasser's snakes. Nick gets some very cool species imported, & he keeps several different types of snakes. It all depends on what you want to get. You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned breeders. I can give you more names of breeders in the US if you want.

That cage pictured in the CL might be on the small side, it's hard to tell. Otherwise, the style of cage looks just fine to me.

Carpets vary, & are often semi-arboreal.

Most carpets are pretty friendly, they are pretty interactive. Babies are often bitey like corn snakes. Once they get bigger, they pretty much mellow out.
They often have a stronger feeding response than corns do, from what I have seen in my carpets.

It would be a good idea to find out what species of carpet that one is, if you're considering getting it. Coastals get a lot bigger than IJ's (generall)...some IJ's can get pretty big, but in general, they're the smallest of the carpets.

Carpets are awesome snakes & you will love them!
That just about sums it up.... They are quite addictive and like branches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
That's 20x23 inches of floorspace. The height is pretty decent, but even one of your adult corns would be cramped in less than 2x2 ft of floor space, and carpets are much bigger and tend to be much more active. So, yes, the cage is going to be too small for an adult carpet.

I'd be a little skeptical of the woman's knowledge, and the snake's supposed good health, if her idea of a good custom cage for an adult carpet is so small. If you decide to get the carpet, find out what it's eating. I hear a lot about carpets that are die-hard mouse addicts, and starting with one addicted to mice or some other can be tough to deal with, especially when you go to try switching it to another prey item, be it rats or rabbits.

Shenzi--As a matter of fact, Carpets are known for tending toward quite arboreal. Not as arboreal as their cousins, Green Tree Pythons, but they spend a fair amount of time up off the ground. The arboreal arrangement of the enclosure is actually quite appropriate for a carpet.
Again....
And a 48" x 24" x 24" is the best size for carpets... Put in a ceramic heater and a good few perches and your snake will love it.....

Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #37
Haarstad
I have a Hog Island Boa and i love it, there are pictures on here of her if you use the search function you will find it, just search Hog Island Boa. She is very nice and calm and will not get too big

Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #38
wstphal
That cage looks too small but it's a nice cage for a SMALLER snake that likes to climb. The pictures aren't great but the snake looks OK to me. Ask Mike if he can tell more from the pictures -- he knows his Morelia. It's still a pretty good deal, though, if it's not too huge a drive go SEE this snake!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #39
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post
That cage looks too small but it's a nice cage for a SMALLER snake that likes to climb. The pictures aren't great but the snake looks OK to me. Ask Mike if he can tell more from the pictures -- he knows his Morelia. It's still a pretty good deal, though, if it's not too huge a drive go SEE this snake!
TBH... The pics are so poor quality that the snake could be anything...
I, personally, would steer well clear of it... It looks like a mut/sib of some sort.. But I can't be sure because the pics are so bad...
I would look on moreliapython, find a good breeder... Look at the snake you really like the look of and buy the 4x2x2 viv... Spend the extra to get the snake you really want.... JMHO...

Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #40
wstphal
Quote:
TBH... The pics are so poor quality that the snake could be anything...
I, personally, would steer well clear of it... It looks like a mut/sib of some sort.. But I can't be sure because the pics are so bad...
I would look on moreliapython, find a good breeder... Look at the snake you really like the look of and buy the 4x2x2 viv... Spend the extra to get the snake you really want.... JMHO...
Well, you got it from an expert.

Edit: I still think you may well want Morelia, I loved, loved, loved the IJs I saw at Daytona, and some type of Morelia or more than one species, is on my list for the future, so if not this snake, some other snake in the genus.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google