CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

2 corns opposite sexes same viv

Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
loki1980
2 corns opposite sexes same viv

yesterday i bought a young snowy female to go with my califorian red male. i asked the guy at the shop would it be ok to put her in with the male just whilst i got her viv up to temp etc, ( i know i should of done this sooner but it was spur moment purchase) he said yeah as long as the big guy is fed so he wont see her a pray, so fair dos i got home yogi the bug male had been fed the day earlier and was sleeping it off in his log, so i put the younger female in and all seem ok, so i carried on doing the other viv. i noticed that yogi had come down for a look at this stunning female in his home all seemed ok, he was following her and showing no signs of what i belived to be aggression, then he started to go next to her and shake badly. the little one seemed sum what upset by this so i quickly removed her and put her into her own viv and i set up around her. im just wondering now, was yogi trying to get it on? or was this a territorial thing? and will this behaviour happen again when i put them to mate at a later date... end of the day i love both my snakes very much and i dont want to do something i might later regret,and have an injuried snake on my hands.
what was this behaviour?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Nanci
He wanted to mate with her.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Dreamsnake
You should never put a new snake into the same space as an established one without a quarantine period. If she has mites or an infection, your old snake may have it now.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Bartholomew
Another option would have been to keep her in the same container you got it in meanwhile you fix her tank.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
ShenziSixaxis
^ Exactly...

Not only that, putting a male and female together without knowing what breeding is like...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Naagas
Yup, he was trying to breed.

Don't put them together again.
Silly that someone gave you that advice. Grr.

If I were you, I'd want to go give that guy a piece of my mind. If you hadn't been so observant, you could have ended up with injured/dead/pregnant snakes!

For future reference, it won't hurt a snake to be kept in a feeding-sized container for a day or two if you have no other tank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google