CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

"Elvie the Hider" update

Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Evol_girl
"Elvie the Hider" update

So - we followed everyone's advice and have been making Elvie show her face instead of trying to just wait for her to pop out. She's been really good about it - I've tried to get some pictures, but I am no photographer and pretty much only use my phone She DID nip at my daughter once and was REALLY upset about coming out one day, but I chalk that up to snakes having bad days like the rest of us. And my daughter learned that while its a little freaky having a snake leap at your finger - it feels like a feather hitting you. So fear is gone. And it seems like she's not quite as much of a recluse. She has decided to curl up in her tree trunk tunnel instead of just burrowing in her bedding, hidden from sight. That's a great thing for us obsessed with staring into her tank

A couple of things though... She's eating great - about every 6 days or so, one pinky... But I'm just a little concerned because I think she's TINY (I weighed her, and she's only about 10g) and that pinky seems so.... big. I've read that some people slice them in half or something? If she's eating them ok and not regurging them or anything should I worry? Should I worry about her weight? Is she too small? I'm not positive how old she is - probably 3 or 4 months... But that's just a guess. I have to admit, I'm not at all interested in slicing open a pinky, so if I don't have to I'll be leaping for joy

Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Gungirl
I don't know a lot at all but I can say that my Little man Ivan is only 8g and I feed him a pinky every 5 days. I do however try and get one of the smaller pinkies that the store I go to has. It looks like its more than he can handle but he seems to do just fine.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Naagas
IMO: if your snake is not regurging, then you are alright to continue feeding that pinkie.
I used to have a little freak out every time I bumped a snake up a mouse size. The appropriate sized mouse tends to look too big because it is bigger than the snake's head. But, snakes stretch.
FYI: There will probably be circumstances in the future that require you to cut into a mouse, but not for this.

It sounds like you are very much loving your little Elvie! You will be able to notice the change in her personality as she ages and becomes more calm.

I'm glad that your daughter survived the 'attack'!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Evol_girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
IMO: if your snake is not regurging, then you are alright to continue feeding that pinkie.
That was my initial thought - but its just still new to me to watch them choke down something SO big compared to them! Thanks...

Quote:
FYI: There will probably be circumstances in the future that require you to cut into a mouse, but not for this.
There were thinks in the 'snake world' I was prepared for... Unfortunately - this was not one of them. I hope its one of those "grow with your snake" situations - where i'll be more able to handle that type of thing if/when it ever comes down to it!

Quote:
It sounds like you are very much loving your little Elvie! You will be able to notice the change in her personality as she ages and becomes more calm.
We are... I keep telling Taylor (my daughter) that when she gets bigger and isn't quite so afraid of everything she'll be a bit more "fun" - I think she might be a tad disappointed that her snake right now isn't totally into being played with

Quote:
I'm glad that your daughter survived the 'attack'!
Me too Vicious little Elvie...

Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Dreamsnake
If you think you're stressing out the little snake to much with constant window gazing there is an easy solution...get another snake that's a little bit bigger. I had to do that; I've never been happier with my choice.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Evol_girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
If you think you're stressing out the little snake to much with constant window gazing there is an easy solution...get another snake that's a little bit bigger. I had to do that; I've never been happier with my choice.
Oh... This has already come to my mind as a VERY viable option... In fact, I've looked at some of the snakes coming out of breeders on this site and I'm salivating at some of the prospects. However, the boyfriend is not amiable to that! He's "ok" with the little one - providing she is IN her cage with the lid securely latched If I said we're getting another one - bigger - he'd either kill me or move out, both options not high on my list! SO... She gets break from beady eyes peering at her during the day - hopefully she's ok with that amount of alone time!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
***Beth***
I understand the bf not liking them. My husband tolerates my pets as long as he never has to see, feed or touch them. It's always a battle getting another pet. Hopefully he'll come around sooner rather then later.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Evol_girl
Just throwing this out there - to anyone who may be reading

IF per chance SOMEONE had a slightly older butter morph available... JUST SAYIN'... I would PROBABLY be interested in talking about it :-)

I am, as predicted, already addicted and really do agree with other peoples suggestions that getting an older one to hold over our need to cuddle and play and hold, allowing the baby more time to settle down is probably a good idea... I really love the butters - oh so much - and am pretty sure if one came my way I would be able to justify (to myself AND the boyfriend) why he/she is a NECESSARY addition!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Evol_girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Beth*** View Post
I understand the bf not liking them. My husband tolerates my pets as long as he never has to see, feed or touch them. It's always a battle getting another pet. Hopefully he'll come around sooner rather then later.
Hey there fellow Minnesotan I think there are a few of us on here? I'm amazed at how widely spread everyone is on here - different countries, states... Its nice!

Someone should start a thread for people to put there location on.. I know it says it next to most peoples names - but who wants to go through everyones profile just to check!?!?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Ares2010
I'm glad she's settling in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google