CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Protecting bottom of a wood viv

Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
legitimatehypnotist
Protecting bottom of a wood viv

I heard someone mention here once that they placed a layer of sealed linoleum/tile on the bottom of a wood viv converted for snakes to protect the wood. Is that a good idea? I'm converting a massive viv for a non-corn resident, but this is good info for any DIY project, so I hope it's okay that I placed it here.
Really need to protect the wood and normal sealer won't do the trick, it would great to have a removable layer of something not absorbent but that WILL transfer heat from the pad/tape. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It's a MASSIVE enclosure, room sized, so it has to be practical lol.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Blue Apple Herps
Why not normal sealer? I'd still want the wood sealed below whatever liner I put on top.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Nythain
Ceramic tiling would work too. It ranks fairly high on thermal conductivity, it's not as porous as some of it's counterparts (yeah, I'm looking at you slate), and can usually be gotten in a variety of sizes to get it it to cover the floor. The only real problem I see with that route would be the effort to remove the layer, as you'd have to pull up each tile instead of a singular object layer.

Linoleum will also do the trick, though if you aren't fully gluing it down (assuming from your desire to have a removable layer) you might run into issues keeping it flat? I've not worked with linoleum so I don't know how much it wants to curl or peel, especially if exposed to moisture or fairly moist environments.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
legitimatehypnotist
I am sealing the wood, this is for over the sealer. Just sealed wood is not an option, there has to be something over it as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
legitimatehypnotist
Thank you. I'm leaning towards linoleum for the reason that it's cheaper and easier. The whole thing is just stressing me out ahahaha

Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Chip
Why not several coats of marine urethane? Just sand between coats, and it will look like wood but wipe down like plastic.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitimatehypnotist View Post
I'm converting a massive viv for a non-corn resident
It's still a snake ?

Quote:
Really need to protect the wood and normal sealer won't do the trick, it would great to have a removable layer of something not absorbent but that WILL transfer heat from the pad/tape.
Is the heat pad/tape going under what ever your looking to put in ?

There is this 4'x8' by 1/8'' thick PVCish fiberglass re-enforced panels that Lowes/home Depot sells. It has a textured and a somewhat smooth side to it.
There's no fiberglass exposed. Sells for around $35 +/-.
I believe it's designed to be used around tubs/showers.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Nythain
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
There is this 4'x8' by 1/8'' thick PVCish fiberglass re-enforced panels that Lowes/home Depot sells. It has a textured and a somewhat smooth side to it.
There's no fiberglass exposed. Sells for around $35 +/-.
I believe it's designed to be used around tubs/showers.
Holy crap I have to look for some of that myself. I've been trying to figure the best thing to use to sandwich my heat mat in the wooden viv i'm also renovating. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
Holy crap I have to look for some of that myself. I've been trying to figure the best thing to use to sandwich my heat mat in the wooden viv i'm also renovating. Thanks!
I was wondering how you made out with it. More specifically the heat mat and how it was working for you.. LOL

I honestly don't know how it will react to heat. I've never tried it
I use it on the bottom of Viv's that use overhead or no heat only. High humidity applications.
I am going to use it in new tegu enclosures but again they will be using heat panels above.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitimatehypnotist View Post
I am sealing the wood, this is for over the sealer. Just sealed wood is not an option, there has to be something over it as well.
Gotcha, I misunderstood and thought you meant that sealing period wasn't an option.

Not sure why you must have something, if you seal it right it will be super slick and easy to clean up.

That being said, I think linoleum would be my choice. You can cut it to your exact size and replacing it would be very cheap. Just make sure you seal the edges of it so water/urates don't seep around the edges and get stuck between the wood floor and the linoleum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google