CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

"special needs" snake

Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
celica_goddess
Unhappy "special needs" snake

I need some input. I do have a corn but I'm asking about the hognose I just bought. I posted on a different forum and no one replied.

I just got Wilber on Friday, he's a golden madagascar hognose. He's 3 and has been like this his whole life. It's hard to describe his movements, but he can't move like a normal snake. He does 360 back flips, he shakes his head like Stevie Wonder.

They had him checked by the vet and he got a clean bill of health. They think it may be neurological. I'm making an appointment with my vet tomorrow, but don't know when I'll be able to get in.

Here's the video. Has anyone seen behavior like this in any snake?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
celica_goddess
Hmm...the video didn't post. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BA_lePoWw4

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
danielle
HMMM...It looks like he is looking for a way out except for the flipping over part, but I'm not sure if there is a problem really. Its not stargazing and he looks very healthy honestly. I guess it could be neurological, but if they are able to eat and thrive on their own it doesn't matter and I'm not sure the vet bills would even be worth it since neurological impairments can't be corrected in most cases.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
celica_goddess
Thanks for the reply. I want to apologize again for posting about a hognose hear, but I always get replies here and no where else

You're right, he's definitely not star-gazing, so that's good. I also forgot to mention that I got him Friday and he ate yesterday! Yay!

I took a video of him on my hands, where he's even worse, but it's hard to tell bc when watching it you can't tell what's up and what's down.

Anyways.... I still plan to have a professional just watch him and see what they think. What I'm worried about is his quality of life.

Thanks for replying

Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
celica_goddess
Also, have you ever tried to flip your snake over? They don't let you. My hognose does. I'll flip him on his back and he'll just slither along like that like he doesn't even know he's upside down. And he's not playing dead (which they do).

Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
danielle
When animals quality of life deteriates they won't eat, drink, and grow like he has. Its not like he can say I am in pain, but think about it when you are sick you don't wanna eat, aren't as active, and sleep like none other. He seems very active, is eating, and is good sized. I think he's pretty interesting actually and the flipping over was crazy maybe an equillibrium problem, but I don't know what controls a snakes equilibrium. For us its our ears.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Nanci
He looks fine to me. I posted your link on the hognose yahoo group- I'll let you know if anyone has any input.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Nanci
This reply is from Jennea Wood, who has written a book about hoggies:

Had a southern do that a few years ago. It was viral, and he passed away. It started simple, but got more severe as time passed. It was very similar to IBD in the way it manifested. No treatment.

I have also seen hoggies act that way after being exposed to provent-a-mite.....
Jenea Wood

Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
celica_goddess
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
When animals quality of life deteriates they won't eat, drink, and grow like he has. Its not like he can say I am in pain, but think about it when you are sick you don't wanna eat, aren't as active, and sleep like none other. He seems very active, is eating, and is good sized. I think he's pretty interesting actually and the flipping over was crazy maybe an equillibrium problem, but I don't know what controls a snakes equilibrium. For us its our ears.

That does make sense....

I have a book "What's Wrong With My Snake" and it has a pic of a snake with a tilted head, caused by a mite or parasite that entered the tissues behind its eye.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
celica_goddess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
This reply is from Jennea Wood, who has written a book about hoggies:

Had a southern do that a few years ago. It was viral, and he passed away. It started simple, but got more severe as time passed. It was very similar to IBD in the way it manifested. No treatment.

I have also seen hoggies act that way after being exposed to provent-a-mite.....
Jenea Wood
He's been like this his whole life I was told, so I don't think it's viral. But thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google