CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

7 year old is refusing to eat (yes I've read the stickies)

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
xStaticSnow
7 year old is refusing to eat (yes I've read the stickies)

My 7 year old corn is a rescue. He hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and while I know this isn't a very long time for an adult corn, he's already incredibly skinny. I'm feeling uncomfortable with him not eating at all. Last week he shed so I assumed that was the reason he didn't take his first mouse. Now I tried feeding him again today. He opened his mouth and gnawed on the mouse very softly, but after about 20 seconds of this he backed off and is totally ignoring the mouse. The mouse isn't too big for him.. he's a little over 3 feet and the mouse is just a little larger than a fuzzy (about the same size as his tiny skinny body). I'm not sure how exactly and how often his old owner fed him. I tried emailing her about 2 weeks ago and have not gotten a reply.

And I really do not have the money to go out a buy a ton of drops, different size mice, etc. if I'm not sure it will make him eat. I'm really stressing out and I would appreciate any help...
Yes I've already ready all the sticky information and many other threads on similar topics. I've tried braining the mouse, cutting slits, leaving it in his cage, wiggling it with tongs, etc. I don't have any chicken broth and I literally have $1 right at the moment so unless I go beg my mom or friends I can't afford to go buy a ton of products that may or may not work

Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
carol
How long have you had the snake? How long did you leave the food in his cage?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
xStaticSnow
I've had the snake a little over 3 weeks now I think. The mouse has been in his viv for 4 hours now with a blanket over the tank. I've only checked in once and the mouse is still there. Also, his temps are fine and he isn't showing any signs of a sickness. Other than not eating he seems perfectly okay

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStaticSnow View Post
I've had the snake a little over 3 weeks now I think. The mouse has been in his viv for 4 hours now with a blanket over the tank. I've only checked in once and the mouse is still there. Also, his temps are fine and he isn't showing any signs of a sickness. Other than not eating he seems perfectly okay
How active is he since he shed? Is he cruising all the time?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
xStaticSnow
After he shed he became very active once again. Cruising his tank and climbing on his branches. More so in the evenings and night. During the day he spends some time curled up but nothing more than what is usual.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
carol
Most likely it is either stress, his past owner fed him live, or that he is in breeding mode. The fact that he attempted to eat it makes me doubt the live food part. I would leave it with him overnight. If he doesn't eat it, don't handle him or try to feed him again for a week. After the week offer a smaller meal at night. Place it in his cage before bed and do not disturb until morning.

A few of my males would go months without eating during breeding season. When I started only offering only once every two weeks they realized food doesn't come around that often and they pretty much eat every time now. A smaller meal may make him feel less "weighed down" for breeding season.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
bitsy
Leave the food in with him overnight. Sometimes they need absolute dark and quiet - especially the nervous new arrivals.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
girlundertherainbow
Don't have a ton of experience, but one of mine did this for awhile. corn I've
Had for years . Was also more active if anything. Maybe breeding mode? Just
Recently back to normal . Good luck.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
carnivorouszoo
Was this the only snake the old owner had? If not is it possible its a female they bred then felt they no longer needed? If so "she " may be preparing to lay more eggs. When my girl double clutched I had to go down to pinkies to get her to eat. So try pinks and see if your snake will take them. I have also hear of people only feeding pinkies as they think that is all snakes eat then the snakes never eat anything else. OR the old owner may have fed Rats in which case your snake may not eat if it isn't a rat. Just some thoughts. Fingers crossed for you!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
xStaticSnow
I left the mouse in with him overnight but he didn't touch it. The mice I've been offering him came directly from his old owners freezer so this isn't an issue of introducing new food to him. She did say he preferred live mice, but he does eat F/T and I would really prefer to avoid feeding live because I worry about injury. I was wondering before about the breeding season being a possibility. I guess I'll leave him alone for another week and try again. After a month of not eating I would think he would be willing to try.

I was also considering maybe offering him 2 live fuzzies to see if he'll take those. Would this be a good idea? It would be the live prey he prefers without such a large risk of being bitten/scratched badly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
skinny