• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looks like we have another gray rat snake prowling around....

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
He left his calling card the other day.....

shed_skin_01.jpg

shed_skin_02.jpg

shed_skin_03.jpg

At least I think it is a gray rat snake just looking at the shed skin.

They are actually rather pretty around here. Not the dark dirty gray of some I have seen. More silvery and light colored. Also tend to be pretty docile and rarely bite unless they mistake my hand for a bird getting too close to them. So I try to give them enough warning about what my hand is all about.

Still haven't seen any hanging around the bird feeders yet, but I'm keeping an eye out. The finches are mostly cleared out, heading back up north, but the hummingbirds are back and they would certainly be a snack for a gray rat snake. Now that I think of it, haven't seen hardly any carolina wrens around here this year. We are usually loaded with them. They will normally tell me when a snake is nearby by making a ruckus until I come and get him.

Back