CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Adding "Loft" to Redirect Injuring Behavior

Old 04-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
jagodzinski
Exclamation Adding "Loft" to Redirect Injuring Behavior

So recently Jag has been injuring herself by rubbing on the screen (that is explained in a different thread and I will be calling her vet tomorrow). In the meantime, I was thinking of ways I could redirect her - maybe by getting her some more height. She already has a resin tree thing, but she doesn't climb it a lot. I though maybe I could build a "loft" and cover it in plants as a new place for her to hang out up high. I attached the plans, so everything is two scale. I was thinking I could also move one of her hides underneath it.

The structure is going to be built out a PVC and I was planning on putting a sheet of cardboard on top and the a bunch of suction cup fake plants around up there and some papertowel to hide under - which she likes. My one concern is if this increasing her ability to escape. She is an adult corn, pretty large, almost 5 ft. long. She lives in a 40B (dimensions are 36" long x 18" deep x 17" tall). Between the top of the structure and the screen top, there will be about a 6inch gap. Does this give her a small enough distance to get enough leverage to escape? She has a hinged mesh lid secured with those C-clips.

Does anyone have any other ideas to add enrichment to prevent her from this injuring nose-rubbing behavior? She has lots of hides, tubes, etc. that I move around. And this behavior is new - maybe related to mating season? I've had her for 7 years and she has lived in this viv for almost 1.5 years with no rubbing before. I know a taller viv might help, but since lots of cornsnakes live in 40B, how do they not have this problem?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
does adding stuff for her to climb on not put her closer to the top where she will just continue to rub her head against the screen?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
Nythain
Lots of snakes do have this problem, especially during mating season. As for the loft, it might work. It's hard to tell. I would question if it makes it easier to rub the screen but if she already has a screen rub wound then it doesn't really matter. But if it's a mating season thing, then no amount of distraction is going to work. It's really hard to say... but I would do it if anything to make the viv overall more awesome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google