CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Sterilising/disinfecting Wood

Old 03-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
GRIMJIM
Sterilising/disinfecting Wood

Hi all
I'm being given 2 big pieces of driftwood for free tomorrow, which I'm wanting to use in my corn snake viv.
They were bought from a craft shop / garden centre (apparently already bleached etc) and have only been used as props for some indoor photography.
I'm wondering whether I should maybe disinfect them anyway, just to be on the safe side, and I'm wondering whether just some reptile Disinfectant and a rinse would be enough or whether I need to do the the boiling, baking, bleaching and whatever you do.
As always, any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
put them in the oven under low heat (250 degrees) for about an hour or 2. it will kill anything in there but not hurt the wood.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
put them in the oven under low heat (250 degrees) for about an hour or 2. it will kill anything in there but not hurt the wood.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
GRIMJIM
Ok, so they don't fit in the oven.
I'm wondering if I need to do much with them as they have been bleached and everything before they were bought.
They look clean, (obviously I know you can't see germs) I'm wondering if they'll be OK with just a spray down with some reptile safe Disinfectant and a good rinse?

Old 03-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #5
GRIMJIM

Old 03-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
GRIMJIM

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google