CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

not shedding

Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Ralphthecornsnake
not shedding

Hi, Just brought home a new pet for my snake loving 4yo and I. A 10-15 yo corn snake that has been handled a lot. Our first snake. He’s in a 40 GA Viv and has been active all day. Will wait a week to handle him. He’s had one other owner who bought him for his toddler that is now gone to college. Seems to be a laid back snake. He’s deep red w black markings, about to shed. Going to mist tomorrow,we have a wood stove and I know the air is dry. I would love to know the name of his color and will post a photo when I can figure out how. He ate just before leaving the store (thawed mouse) hasn’t regurgitated. I’d love any pointers from veterans. Thank you

This is an update from the first message that I posted last weekend that has had no response....maybe I didn't post it correctly So, since being home Ralph is good. We have had him out twice and will feed him on Saturday. He likes his hide and I guess is enjoying himself. I'll find out Saturday and base his like for the new situation on whether or not he eats.

My question, When we first met Ralph three weeks ago in a pet store 3/4/18, I noticed that his eyes were blue and knew that meant he was about to shed. I expected it to happen before we picked him up last Saturday, 3/10/18. He still has not shed and it is now 3/14/18. I have soaked him in a warm water tub twice since 3/10/18. Thinking of placing a shoebox with a hole and wet paper towels into his terrarium. Any thoughts? Like I said before, he is in our woodstove room. I'm sure he loves the temperature, but maybe not the humidity. I'll take any tips, this old man has to stay healthy....we really like him

Old 03-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Twolunger
My corns don't follow any set guidelines when it come to shedding. Normally, once their eyes cloud over they shed within 10 days, some earlier and some a day or two later. I really don't pay much attention to the whole process, just don't handle them much when I expect them to shed. Some people use moist hides, and hide boxes as you suggest with the shoebox. Mine just curl up in their water bowl when they feel the need. I often find them in their water bowls right after shedding too. For this reason I sterilize the water bowls often.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Patmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphthecornsnake View Post
Hi, Just brought home a new pet for my snake loving 4yo and I. A 10-15 yo corn snake that has been handled a lot. Our first snake. He’s in a 40 GA Viv and has been active all day. Will wait a week to handle him. He’s had one other owner who bought him for his toddler that is now gone to college. Seems to be a laid back snake. He’s deep red w black markings, about to shed. Going to mist tomorrow,we have a wood stove and I know the air is dry. I would love to know the name of his color and will post a photo when I can figure out how. He ate just before leaving the store (thawed mouse) hasn’t regurgitated. I’d love any pointers from veterans. Thank you

This is an update from the first message that I posted last weekend that has had no response....maybe I didn't post it correctly So, since being home Ralph is good. We have had him out twice and will feed him on Saturday. He likes his hide and I guess is enjoying himself. I'll find out Saturday and base his like for the new situation on whether or not he eats.

My question, When we first met Ralph three weeks ago in a pet store 3/4/18, I noticed that his eyes were blue and knew that meant he was about to shed. I expected it to happen before we picked him up last Saturday, 3/10/18. He still has not shed and it is now 3/14/18. I have soaked him in a warm water tub twice since 3/10/18. Thinking of placing a shoebox with a hole and wet paper towels into his terrarium. Any thoughts? Like I said before, he is in our woodstove room. I'm sure he loves the temperature, but maybe not the humidity. I'll take any tips, this old man has to stay healthy....we really like him

Hi sometimes it seems like he will never shed has his skin gone pale ?
If his skin is nice and bright skin he may have shed but you haven’t found his skin
I’ve got a snake cave it’s like a hide but it’s got moss in witch you keep moist that help great
That’s my George coming out of his
You can get them from pet shops and amazon sell them
I hope I’ve helped good luck
Pat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google