CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Forgot how to judge what I should be feeding

Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
smale492
Forgot how to judge what I should be feeding

so I have been feeding my snake fuzzies and he is weighing in at about 60 grams right now. I was wondering if there is a chart or way to know what food size to feed him. He is very healthy and has never refused a meal (except when he was very young). Any help would be much appreciated

Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Em.Mo.Clark
What I've been told by many reptile professionals and doctors has been to feed your snake a mouse that is approximately as thick but no thicker than the thickest part of your snake. It's worked great on my 5 month old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Patmart
Hi I use the chart that uses weight of the snake
I put in the internet rough guile to feeding corn snake there is a name for a guild but I can't remember what's it called someone on this site will tell you
Doing it by weight works for my 2
They are both doing really well
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
a "Growing snake" will eat 10% to 13% of it's body weight in food per feeding. (I always split the difference and say 12%.)

So for example, if the snake weighs 20 grams, you'd offer a pinky that weighs about 2.4 grams (or 2 pinkies that total that). If your snake weighs 60 grams, (as you stated your's does right now) you'd offer a mouse weighing about 7.2 grams. Some people might call this a large fuzzy, or hopper, different people have different names, that's why I prefer to go by weight. Who cares what it's called anyway, right?

You can follow this feeding plan up to the time your snake is about 350 grams. At that point, your snake would be considered an adult, and you would stop increasing the size of the mice and just continue feeding a 30 to 40 gram mouse for the rest of the snake's life.

As the snake gets older its growth rate will slow, and the snake can get fat if you keep feeding bigger and bigger mice.

Also, as babies, most people feed on a 5 day schedule, and then a weekly schedule as an adolescent and finally a 14 to 21 day schedule as an adult.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
LadyJemima
I feed Luna (2 months old) every 5 days. You feed the prey you are feeding until you can no longer see a bump...then it's time to move up to a bigger prey item. At least that's one way of doing it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google