CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Capturing shots with younger corns

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Sindrik8x
Capturing shots with younger corns

Just looking to see if anyone has any insight on how to capture shots outside of those that show your fingernails and hand all blown up with these younger corns. I'm seeing no versatility in the photos I've taken over recent months and get tired of seeing more hand than snake... as do my friends, haha.

Anyway, I've been thinking of using a good sized tote or something that I can put them in, maybe pick up a couple of color ones that will contrast well with their colors and help them stand out.

The other option I was thinking of was take out their cage furniture on photo session nights and just capture them moving around their vivs for a bit over the aspen.

Outside of this I'm at a loss. My options are limited with cats running around the house. I can close my bedroom door and do this in there if any of you have some other ideas though. Just looking on how to obtain better, more unique shots. Going to switch over to the digital camera my wife gifted me (our 2nd to last model we bought) to see if that helps as well instead of using my Android.

Thanks all.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Shiari
I have set up a few marble slabs for taking piccies of my babies. I put them on it, and keep my hand cupped over them for a minute or so until they calm down. I have the camera already on the macro setting, and 'focused' on the marble next to my hand. Then, when I lift it I can just shift the camera a little to the side, and voila. Some still don't cooperate, but I've gotten some decent baby photos that way.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Sindrik8x
Shiara, pardon my ignorance, but the, "macro" setting? Most digitals have that I'm assuming? Haven't gone through this cam in a while but it's a Cool Pix newer model (maybe 2 years old).

Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
spyderk
It might be called "Flower" or something on your camera. It's for close-up pictures. I think on my Lumix, the icon for it is a flower. Though I use my Galaxy S4 for pictures now, because I think it does a better job than my camera!

I have only had good success being outside. I use a very low hanging branch on a tree or a rock wall ledge that is a little higher than my waist. Being outside usually slows them down somewhat, because they are busy flicking their tongues and figuring out where they are! But I do this in areas that I feel safe in, and I usually always have a helper with so they can assist if I need to toss the phone to them quickly!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Sindrik8x
I've seen the flower you speak of on both our cool pix cams. Good stuff. I am going to try using it one of the next two days and see how it goes.

I am going to try outside when my two get a bit larger, but seeing as they are both under six months (Cruella will be half a year around Oct 29), I don't trust myself yet with the idea. Probably when they are around yearling state. Can't wait for that though.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
spyderk
Yeah I didn't take mine out last year unless they were in my hand, and they were always so wiggly in my hands. Good luck with the pictures! Having these snakes makes me want an amazing camera just to capture how beautiful they are. I have gotten a few really nice ones with my S4, so I can't complain too much.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
ShelbyScott
I'm glad I found this thread! I've been wondering the same thing. My girl Paisley is only just over a month old and VERY wiggly. I try taking pictures with my iPhone (getting them uploaded is so conveniently easy) but she always moves right as I push the button, leaving me with a picture of a red blur. She just seems so excited to be outside of the viv that she can't stop exploring! Good stuff though, I'll try cupping my hand over her to calm her down.
One thing I also heard of someone else doing is making a small hide to sit at their computer desk so they could "hang out" with their snake. Apparently the snake calms down enough that it will sit in it for hours. I was thinking of trying a large seashell or something else decorative.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
HerpsOfNM
I find using an over turned opaque plastic water saucer for flower pots works great for most snakes, but some are just that squirrelly. I use a 3 inch saucer for hatchlings up to a year of age and then jump to 6 inch. Adults can be a pain, sometimes hand cupping works but I usually wind up using a hat.

The problem with hand cupping....heat and a poikilothermic critter. They absorb heat, which in turn can make them even more flighty. I try to avoid pinning or cupping with my hands, be it in the house using my soft box studio or out in the field for natural shots.

Patience! Patience goes a long way with getting shots too.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Alicia P
How about a pretty crystal (or other decorative) bowl with high sides? We have a thrift shop near us that always has an abundance of crystal dishes that are priced low. Our gecko and blue tongue skink probably have the fanciest roach dishes in town lol.

Other places to look for photo props besides thrift/goodwill shops, would be garage & estate sales or find a family member with a china hutch. Although unless they are willing to give you the item, I might say you want to borrow it for a party (dish to pass) or something. Not everyone would be thrilled that a snake was crawling on their good dishes

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
maxfox426
Lightbulb

On the props front, I usually shoot pics of babies in a clean deli cup (lid off), with some kind of a fabric backdrop underneath just to try to keep things uniform. Or I put them inside an unused (empty) water bowl. It's not terribly fancy, but it gets me consistent pics when I'm trying to photograph my way one-by-one through a whole clutch.

However, for one-off photos and "glamour shots" of younger snakes, my best success is actually in an oversized martini glass. LOL!

As for camera settings, get out the manual for your camera and play around with the options a bit. The macro setting is always a good place to start. The CoolPix does have a few other "advanced" options, if you can figure them out. Other than that, I just recommend trying to find a good source of natural light (like near a big picture window or even just a consistently well-lit room) instead of trying to rely on the camera's built-in flash. You will have better luck getting colors true to life that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google