• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amel sunrise hatchlings

Chip

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
One was OOE yesterday, and the rest are following.
23ky9lx.jpg

ifzfp3.jpg

Here is the mama:
54bt6e.jpg

Most of us working with these suspect the mutation is in fact kastanie, amel and red factor (or coat, mask, disease, etc.).
These guys look like snows at hatching, turn into rather typical looking low-white orange amels, then get deep red, then at about 3 years, begin to develop white (especially noticeable in individuals with motley and stripe). There are some progress pics of some here: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126100

Thanks for looking.

Congrats on the babies!

Thanks!
That mom is insane. Will the babies look like that??
Presumably 50% at least will. She looked just like them when I bought her as a baby. My only question is whether or not the father was het red factor (assuming our guesses of what these are turn out to be correct). He was a motley amel sunrise, and did not develop as deep of reds as mom.

Fun fact, when she turned orange, at about a year old, I decided she wasn't a keeper and put her out for sale on my floor for $100 (less than I paid for her as a baby from SMR). A few sheds later, and I was whisking her back home!

I love the red "whatever" in mom. What does dad look like?

He's motley and doesn't seem to be homo red factor. But she wasn't screaming red at his age, so I guess there's still an inkling of hope:
jrtn5x.jpg

The plan for now is to hold back a son and make more like her. Then make them scaleless.

Thanks, Orlando. She's one of my favorites. If I had just a little more room, I'd keep this whole clutch and hold back the ones that look like her in three years!

These have now darkened up to the point they look like regular amels, I'll get updated photos. They hatched pretty tiny, so I took some extra time to get them bulked up. Some of these will be up for sale next week.

I'm curious, does the red part act dominant, or is it appear to be recessive?

I know there is still much to be learned about these genes, and that they at least figured out that there are at least two red genes, one dominant, one recessive.

So many terms have been thrown around that it really is confusing. Even in researching Joe Pierce's threads, the terms have been used differently, and can be hard to follow.
I remember speaking with Don S a few years back, when it was believed that Red Coat and Red Factor, were the same thing, just people choosing to use different terms. I know Don uses the term Red Mask now, and I *think* it's for the dominant gene.

From what I have read, Joe P is/was working mostly with the recessive gene, and uses the term Red Coat more often, and with the work Bob did in testing the two genes, he uses RC for recessive, and RF for dominant, so I began using the terms in that aspect as well.

I really enjoy the RF gene, and I will likely continue with at least one clutch each year, in various projects.

I know I have talked about Cinaed alot (the het Cayenne Fire Tessera that ended up being RF) but he is my first experience with RF and I am still amazed at his progression, from hatchling to adult.

I do hope you continue with these projects, because they are stunning and while I might be a bit biased, I think you should keep making more! LOL

Aw, thanks! The females are Soderberg's stock, and he did refer to it as "red mask," and it is supposed to be dominant... but this is the first clutch from this animal so I hate to assume its mode of inheritance. I am keeping 4.4 back for a year or two to determine holdbacks, and 2.2 permanently, so can probably answer that question better in 2017 or so. :)

Back