CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Should I get it? Should I not?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
Enora
Should I get it? Should I not?

I was at the local pet store and saw a really tempting corn snake. Looks to be a blood red motley with a really clean white belly. Fairly fit, considering the length of time it's been there. At least 4 months at the store. My problem isn't even getting the snake, it's where to put it. I'm out of room in my room. I might be able to fit it by my desk in the living room, if I pester my mother into giving in. She doesnt want a cage out there. Being kept awake by bedroom arrangement options buzzing around in my head trying to figure out how I can squeeze just one more snake in

Old 07-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
LadyJemima
Honestly...if you don't have the room to properly house and care for it, I would not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Dragonling
This is why I skipped on glass tanks and went straight for plastic tub housing. The original intention was to stack them if I got another snake, though I wound up getting quite a few more than just one and put a few racks in my walk-in closet. Going vertical saves quite a lot of space, and if you find the idea of racks to be cold and unfeeling (or just ugly), there are some very nice and fairly affordable stacking vivs.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Em.Mo.Clark
If you have your own bathroom and enough counter space, maybe that would be a nice place for another snake habitat Or if one of your other corn snakes has more than enough room in his/her tank, I've read that corn snakes aren't cannibalistic and are good at having tank mates

Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em.Mo.Clark View Post
Or if one of your other corn snakes has more than enough room in his/her tank, I've read that corn snakes aren't cannibalistic and are good at having tank mates
I would rethink that notion. The original page has poofed with the domain expiring, but here is an archived version of one of the better arguments I've read against cohabbing: http://web.archive.org/web/201701030...-one-enclosure Though most of the photos have also poofed, the ball python photos are still working. Just a heads up, they're pretty graphic.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Enora
All reptiles, from what I've read, can be cannibalistic. My mother offered me a corner in the quieter living room for the Milk Snake though. That one is a family pet, sort of. She belongs to both my mother and I.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Enora
And then she gave me this one, since the bloodred was gone. (She is a big time enabler). It's a normal motley, at least 7-8 months, possibly a year old.
Very calm while being handled, curious, bright eyed, healthy shape, and no sign of bugs. Still planing on getting her to the vet for a health check fairly soon.
She ate the day I brought her home. Was feeding day for the other 2 snakes, so I decided to see if she wanted one. She did.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enora View Post
And then she gave me this one, since the bloodred was gone. (She is a big time enabler). It's a normal motley, at least 7-8 months, possibly a year old.
Very calm while being handled, curious, bright eyed, healthy shape, and no sign of bugs. Still planing on getting her to the vet for a health check fairly soon.
She ate the day I brought her home. Was feeding day for the other 2 snakes, so I decided to see if she wanted one. She did.

Beautiful snake!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
LadyJemima
All snakes eat other snakes. Do not risk it!

Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJemima View Post
All snakes eat other snakes. Do not risk it!

Let's avoid broad statements; they are frequently untrue. Garter snakes are loosely social and are frequently kept in groups in captivity. Still I wouldn't recommend cohabbing anything without experience or guidance from an expert.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google