CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What would happen if i didn't wait 1 week before handling after buying the snake.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Nanyia
What would happen if i didn't wait 1 week before handling after buying the snake.

After googling it everyone says every snake is different and u can see how it reacts to decide when to start handling it, but it says no where what to look for. What should i wait for? When do i understand that he is comfortable in his terrarium?

I bought him yesterday i handled him once before putting him in his enclosure, he was really chill and showed no defensive signs. After i put him in the enclosure he hid in the wood branch and poked his head out and stayed like that the whole day, during the night he was very active and explored the whole terrarium.

Today i tried to take him out and he was trying to get away but i think i didn't realise that he was sleeping and startled him, but after i got him out he instantly became friendly and again showed no defensive signs.

I think i got the idea that the week where you wait is that the snake won't eat if it's not comfortable? Well i fed him today and he ate with no problem if that's the point, am i lucky and got a really chill snake or am i missing the point?

At the shop they told me he is a bit less than a year old male. here are some pictures of my new cutie named Chili.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
DollysMom
He’s beautiful. Don’t handle him while he is digesting. Give him at least 3 full days or until he poops. The rest of your questions are a moot point since you have handled and fed. Yes, they’re all individuals and some are more chill than others. The recommendations are made for the average situation and to be on the safe side.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
Dragonling
Generally speaking, it gives them a chance to de-stress after their car trip or FedEx journey and sudden introduction to a new space. Considering that snakes in the wild rarely stay in the same 3ft square space for more than a day, the latter reason is a bit weak in practicality. It's a rule I'll admit to never following.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
DollysMom
Here is the quote from Kathy Love’s book. As far as I know it’s based on her own experience. I believe that, like so many things we do in our husbandry, there is no hard scientific evidence as of the kind provided by double-blind studies. I do it because I’m following her advice and put some trust in her years of experience and observations.

“The best thing you can then do for new pets upon arrival is leave them alone for a minimum of three full days and nights! Think of it from their viewpoint—the whole universe has just been changed, and they’re nervous. This is one of the hardest rules to adhere to for new corn snake owners who want to immediately examine, handle, feed, and show off a new pet. Try to resist the temptation for excessive handling. More importantly, wait until at least the fourth day to give a new corn snake a smaller-than-normal meal.”

So there is nothing to look for. One reason to do it is to make sure your snake is not in shed unknown to you. I’ve had two (of four) arrive in some stage of shed where it was not obvious. By leaving them alone the shed proceeded without incident.

Rereading what I wrote yesterday, I’m sorry if I at all sounded short or snippy. That’s never helpful. I had just had my flu shot and was feeling it. Nothing personal at all!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Weebonilass
Too much handling, too soon can be very stressful esp to hatchlings younger snakes and can potentially set the road for regurating, which is not good and could potentially cost the snake his life.

Sounds like your guy is good, but the advice is given for a good reason

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google