CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #51
HannaKonda
Do you count a hognose as venomous? If so, then I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Old 11-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #52
MalinoisK9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Cool! Nice to see you back. What made you pick that cobra species, out of all of them?

To revisit the original question eight years later- I still am not interested in keeping venomous snakes, although I am happy that there are people who do. I hope we, the herp community, retain that right.

I might like to keep heloderms of some sort- but really I'd rather a friend kept them and I could just go visit.
I picked N. annulifera for a few reasons. They are known to have a mellower temperament as they age and I really like the look of them. They are a slightly heavier build than some of the other Najas. They feed like they are a rat snake. I knew just from my collection of Asian Ratsnakes that I wanted something with similar traits. Diurnal and active. Najas fit that bill, they are very curious and attentive in general.

I'm hoping to add a few more in the future.
In no order:
N. nivea
N. siamensis
N. pallida
N. haje legionis

Old 11-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #53
MalinoisK9
A few more of the lil gal

Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #54
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalinoisK9 View Post
A few more of the lil gal
Beautiful. I may admire from afar, but I do admire such awesome beauty.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #55
MalinoisK9
Yea... that's not water...

Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #56
MysticExotics
Venomous are not legal where I live. I have no problem with responsible keepers having them, but I personally would not.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #57
MalinoisK9
Tonight was the first time I've fed live in... shoot probably 6-7 years? I haven't had a baby snake in so long that my current stock of frozen food is more or less all Med-Jumbo rats and some adult mice. I bought a handful of frozen fuzzies for my new Naja from the pet store to get us by until the next show (this weekend). Well she eats every 4 days or so (crazy metabolism these things have) and I ran out a few days ago. With only one feeding left until the Sunday show I only needed to get one and to save time I got a live so I wouldn't have to thaw.

So I tong feed her as usual and take the time to observe something I so far haven't been able to witness. Her venom's potency. From the initial bite to lack of movement (twitching or breathing) was just under 10 seconds.

Sure it's only a fuzzy, but a fuzzy is a big meal for her right now.

Lil' gal packs a wallop!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #58
Athena_Cornsnake
Probably not. They're gorgeous, but I couldn't safely handle them, which is one of the huge draws of snake keeping for me.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:15 AM   #59
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal View Post
I think most of these things should go for people who get to drive cars, as well!
I like this. That would mean only about 40 people in AZ would have driver's licenses!!!

Old 12-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #60
Zombiegirl
She's adorable! I love cobras...given that I am such a clutz and get tagged by my ball python and bloodred corn on a regular basis hots are definitely NOT on my agenda at any time. They are beautiful animals though for sure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google