CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Ugh....yeah so this happened

Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Lycansoul
Ugh....yeah so this happened

SO I got this new snow corn from a guy who's daughter moved off and he wouldn't do anything with it, the tank he brought it to me in was better suited for one fish let alone a long corn snake, no heat lamp, nothing. SO i took it in. I went to feed it today (live). It hadn't been fed in i don't know how long since the guy didn't want anything to do anything with it. I took him out and he vaulted from my hands into the area where I feed my snakes and it tore that mouse apart. He wasn't in there touching the ground before the mouse was in his mouth and it was all over...I mean blood bath. Instead of swallowing it whole like my ball would it decimated it. I walked in to the room and froze cuz I thought it was his blood but he has no scratches on him. Has anyone ever had this happen? Or do you think its because he has gone a while without food?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
It's probably two things. One, he may be over enthusiastic from not eating for a while. Two, often snakes get more aggressive with a live mouse. I would try switching him to frozen thawed, so you don't have to worry about him getting injured. Also I saw your picture in your other thread and his weight looks good. The previous owner may not have fed him for a while, but an adult corn can go quite a while without food before it starts to negatively affect him.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Lycansoul
Thank you. My partner suggested thawed after this....event took place. But where I'm at all the pet stores within a decent drive all had their frozen recalled. (Not sure why) So i had to switch my balls over to live and that's what I had on hand to feed him. I prefer frozen because its easier on me to buy in bulk. I'm going tomorrow on the hunt for some frozen, cuz yeah I'm not up for that again.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
You can also prekill a live mouse if you can't find a good source for frozen.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
plasticoamericano
I used to feed my snake live like every other feed. (I was misinformed.) And on two separate occasions she tore them apart like you described. Then one time I thought she was doing the same thing but the mouse had actually bit her as well. I haven't fed her a live mouse since. I watched a YouTube video on how to do the cervical disconnection thing and now if I don't buy them frozen already I do that and freeze them for a couple days.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
Lycansoul
Thanks I'll look into the cervical disconnection thing and see how that goes. I'm going in the morning to track down some frozen, i found a place a hour and half away but if it means I get frozen i'll do it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
smigon
Yes, definitely try F/T, safer for the snake and kinder to the mouse.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Nanci
There's a video stickied on how to do cervical dislocation. WAY safer.

Mice were recalled due to salmonella.

I'd switch the balls back ASAP. You were lucky they were eating FT.

Big Cheese Rodents in Texas has reasonable mice, super-cheap shipping, and the mice are vacuum packed and beautiful. You'd save so much money by ordering from them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google