• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby corn vomit

DetroitDizzy

Hi, this is my first post.
I got my baby over a week ago. It ate a pinky and I waited 2 days to handle. I planned on waiting 2 weeks to handle but i realized my homemade hide for him was a bit too big and he didn't look like he was very secure in there. So i got him a new smaller hide. I went to remove him from the his tank to put him in a smaller tub while i rearranged his tank. He was obviously not enjoying me handling him and was very quick and squirmy. When i got him in his temporary tub i noticed a wet turd like thing on my carpet. It was pinkish and had a tiny mouse paw in it. after Googling i found out it was VOMIT not regurgitation.
My setup is a 10gal tank with UTH set at 88° and my thermometer reads 83-85° and my ambiant temp is room temperature 70-71°. All new aspen bedding, hides, purified water and branches.
Should i be worried? What should i do?

Also sorry no pics, i cleaned it up before i realized i should have.

I always thought Vomit and Regurgitation were the same thing. If it doesn't come out as poop, it comes out as regurgitation. "Vomit" is just another word for it.

Anyway, here is a link detailing specific care and problems with corn snakes, and about half way down the page you'll find info on Regurgitation. (Link Below)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342
From what i read regurgitation is when the mouse comes out relatively undigested and whole. Vomiting is when it comes out as a mostly digested, goo pile. The also said the vomit is usually caused by a bad water or a dirty bacteria ridden enclosure.
Perhaps my local pet store wasn't caring for him very well but seemed clean enough in the store.

Regurgitation is a "verb" ie- "He Regurgitated." (We all know that means, He "Threw up.")

Vomit is a "noun" ie- "What's that on the floor? His vomit." (Again, we all know he threw up.)

Regurgitation is a "verb" ie- "He Regurgitated." (We all know that means, He "Threw up.")

Vomit is a "noun" ie- "What's that on the floor? His vomit." (Again, we all know he threw up.)
hahaha i know the difference, all i ment was the mouse was already mostly broken down into a slurry and didn't come out as a whole mouse thats all. An the website i looked at said there was a difference if they vomited of regurgitated, maybe they are wrong.
An vomit-ing is also a verb.

Dizzy, forget about vomit or regurges, just say he frontally expelled stomach contents. I would wait to offer another another pinkie until he has settled down for a week. I use probiotics for any snake that has a digestive problem, whether regurge or other. One of the best is Nutribac df. If you can't find it locally it is available on the web. Good Luck.

just ordered that Nutribac an ill wait 10 days just to be safe. thank you both

an i didnt mean to sound like an ass if i did.

Let us know if he returned to normal feeding. I had a hatchling do the same thing when I moved him to clean his container. I fed him a week later with a pinkie dusted with probiotics and he didn't have any more problems. I used to hit the herp shows in Michigan when I lived there. I think the Romulus show was kind of small, but there was a good variety there.

Will do ill let you know. Hopefully the probiotics does him good, an bumped his ambient temp up to 77°. I also got a ball python that is very healthy and has never refused a meal, would dusting just one mouse in the probiotics boost her health and immune system a bit or should I only use the probiotics for regurgitation issues? Never heard of reptile probiotics till this thread.
Also im from MI too, heard the Taylor expo is awesome.

Probiotics can be used any time you feed. They are nothing more than good gut bacteria, but it is said that they stimulate digestion, and aid the immune system. Some snake breeders swear by Nutribac, but I also used Nature Zone reptile essential probiotics. A little goes a long way if you just lightly dust the mice before feeding. You won't notice any obvious results from using probiotics on a healthy snake, but should see an improvement in one that has digestive problems.

He has ate twice in a row now. Both times dusted with the Nutribac. I think he likes the Nutribac, went after the pinky fast.
a2af012277ad4c29da142b2cd52216fd.jpg

So glad to hear good news. With so many negative things happening in the world a simple pleasure like watching your pet eat, or slithering through your hands is a welcome relief.

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Back