CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mouse size differences

Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
zerby1470
Mouse size differences

Greetings all. I have a 17 month old lovely that I got about 6 weeks ago to join our other two corns. When I was talking to his breeder I was told he was on fuzzies but ready to move onto hoppers. All well and good. First few feeds were fuzzies and didn’t leave a bump at all. The issue at hand is that I do not have a source for hoppers and the local frozen small mice are about 14 grams. He is currently 67 grams so I am reluctant to order a bag of 25 hoppers since he will shortly outgrow them. Would it be better for him to have 2 fuzzies or is it safe to give him a small sized small mouse? It doesn’t look huge compared to his body, but big compared to his head. Don’t want to hurt him, but don’t want to stunt his growth either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
if the snake weighs 67 grams, you can safely feed 10% to 12% of body weight, or a food item that weighs about 6.5 to 8 grams. I would hesitate to over feed or feed too big of an item as that can lead to regurgitation.

Yes you can feed 2 smaller items as long as the total weight does not exceed about 8 grams.

Your typical Fuzzies are around 3 to 5 grams, hoppers are usually around 7 to 10 grams. But you can sometimes find "Exceptions" that are slightly smaller or bigger than what is common.

I agree, he will at some point outgrow the hoppers too, but you can always feed 2 of them until they are gone.

I have found in my area, a lot of the local Pet shops sell frozen mice. They are usually rated, "Small, Medium, Large and Jumbo." The small are around 8 grams, the Mediums are around 13 grams, the Large are around 19 grams, and the Jumbos are about 25 grams.

A lot of times the packaging refers to the weight in "Ounces" and if you Multiply that by 28 you'll have the grams. (There are 28 grams to an ounce.)

Many of us have scales which we can weigh the snake and the food items with, I assume you have a scale as you know what your snake's weight it. You can also use it to weigh the food items, and just try to feed 10% to 12% of the snake's weight. This is known as the "Munson Feeding Plan" and you can find it online or even on this forum if you take a few moments to look for it.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
zerby1470
Thank you for the reply. I did wind up ordering online and we have had no feeding issues with the smaller prey. He is growing like a weed though, lol. Currently up to 93 grams and 28” long. I figure once he needs to size up I will keep the remainder of the hoppers for our younger snake. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google