CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

rack tub sizes?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
knox
I just moved up from 32 qt to the Vision V70 tubs - 37 quarts. But they are wider than the 41 qt, so I like them better. Same dimensions as the Iris CB70.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Zimmer
So. Hubby started work on our rack last night! Very excited snake mom here! We chose to go with 41qt sterilite tubs and make it a 6-snake rack. When we move into breeding we will probably start another hatchling/juvenile rack. Because of the long shape of the tubs I'm going to do flex watt belly heat but any ideas what size flex watt? I was thinking 8" or 11"? To cover about 1/3 of the floorspace of the tub? And can anyone describe how they have thermometer and thermostat probes set up so they aren't constantly getting bumped and such?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #13
Reptinewb
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
I have been building back heated combo racks for decades. I have a rack right now that started with 24 6qt and 6 12qt tubs. Now it has 4 28qt, 4 8qt, 6 12qt and 9 6qt tubs.

Every time someone posts that corn snakes "require belly heat" I cringe !!
It's frustrating to see that "requirement" perpetuated on this and other sites.
Belly heat IS the most efficient way to provide the heat needed for digestion in most vivarium's. It works the best for snake keepers that use aquariums.
So what is "required" is to provide the proper ambient heat for digestion and a heat gradient for thermal regulation. How you provide it is unique to each situation. In very large facilities they wouldn't use belly or back heat. They provide ambient heat through a central heating system which I also have done in the past.
In racks it is easier to install back heat and you are using half the wattage. You never have to worry about belly burns with snakes like Ball Pythons that are prone to it. For me the biggest advantage is versatility......
What are you keeping in the 6qts

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google