CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UVB and corns

Old 04-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Briancs
UVB and corns

Brian, the two year old corn snake, has recently come to live with us. I have his heating system and most other factors set up but i’m still confused about the pros and cons of UVB lighting. One article said an appropriate UV index should be about 8.5, but lots of scientific papers seem to think the jury’s still out. Excessive UVB seems to be a bad thing but so does none at all. He lives in my lounge away:from the window so he gets some daylight but not powerful direct sunlight (scared of over heating him, etc).

Does anyone have practical experience of whether or not UVB helps and, if so, how much?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
crackerhead
No need for UVB lighting with corn snakes. They are nocturnal. I've kept corns for over 20 years successfully without it. My oldest animal at present is 18 years old. I've owned and cared for him from the day he left the egg.

Terri

Old 04-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Briancs
Thanks, Terri. Your experience is really helpful.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Dragonling
I've heard plenty of stories of corns basking semi-regularly when given low level UVB bulbs, but this is anecdotal evidence and doesn't actually tell us what kind of benefit they might be getting. Maybe it just feels nice. Either way, I agree with Terri. I doesn't appear to be a necessity.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #5
Briancs
UVB and corns

Thanks, little positive evidence so far, is there?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Dragonling
Keep in mind there could also be some detriment to snakes with reduced melanin, such as Amels and the various hypo-types. These animals will have less natural protection from the UV rays and could end up with retinal damage over time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google