CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Reptile carpet?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
DumzyDaFish
Reptile carpet?

Is reptile carpet ok to use for corns? Aspen is hard to clean, gets into the water bowl, sticks to clothes, etc... Just gets annoying sometimes, i always thought that reptile carpet would be fine, but other people think otherwise. Anyways, would reptile carpet be a bad idea? If so, what are some other options?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Nanci
It's okay, but it has drawbacks. You need two sets, so you can wash and dry one. You can't get it clean by spot cleaning. I used to use it when I had like two snakes...I'd take out one, machine wash it, then set it in the sun to dry and kill bacteria.

Snakes can mostly still burrow under it, making them hard to remove from the viv.

When I used it, I would also use large dry leaves for cover. The snake pretty much has to be out, or under. It can't tunnel around and peek out, as it can with aspen.

Sani chips are another option.

I wouldn't try CareFresh except for a tiny hatchling, for a limited time.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Dragonling
Sani-chip sometimes gets everywhere, but it's a lot easier to clean up than shredded aspen since the little chips don't quite cling to fibrous surfaces the way shredded splinters do. I just keep a mini hand vac nearby and use tall water bowls to avoid too much substrate getting in it.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
jagodzinski
If you are looking for an aspen substitute - I use papertowels, and it works out very well. I do 6-7 layers and put a loose sheet over for my snake to "burrow" under. I can cut out a section and replace that to do a version of "spot cleaning."

I've used repti carpet before under other types of substrates, and it was okay, but it was challenging to clean. So much so that I often just replaced it with a new sheet (of course this was infrequent since mine wasn't getting spoiled as it was under other substrate).

Old 04-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
DumzyDaFish
Yea.. Thanks guys, i think ill just stick with aspen. I would like to get sani chips, but noone around me sells em. Maybe ill order some on amazon or something.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Asphalt_World
I tried using it, but I found it a pain to have to keep cleaning because you can't spot clean it. Always taking it out and replacing whilst the dirty bits were washed and dried. Plus if you have a lot of decorations in the viv, you have to move them around every time you take it out and replace.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
I currently use it and have been for over a year now, and I've not experienced Any of the Drawbacks mentioned by the above comments. It's easy to clean, I've been using the same 2 pieces for over a year, no need to keep buying aspen anymore. You will need 2 pieces of it cut to fit your cage.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
jagodzinski
Karl_McKnight - how do you clean (wash and dry) the carpets?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
I lay the piece in the bathtub and cover with warm water and a little bleach. Let it soak for about 10 minutes and then gently scrub it with a scrub brush. Then rinse it off and hang from a coat hanger outside and let it drip dry. They generally drip dry in about half a day or less if it's warm out.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
jagodzinski
Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google