• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

PILE-O LAVAS & LAVA CINDERS !!

Walter, you sent no info, though I admit looking through your breedings that year to try and figure it out lol. Not that I have a huge gene pool to test her against. I downsized quite a bit on my cinder stuff..

I'm confused qtken, are you saying that out of 27 eggs you only got two females period? Or were there other females that just weren't homo cinder? The cinder allele shouldn't affect the sex ratio of the clutch as a whole, if you hatch out all males, cinder or not, it should just be the result of bad luck.

I agree and......

.....This is what I thought the first year, but then the following not so much and then this year, GOTTA be something going on !!

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Ha! I told Mitch last year that I was thiking that Lava Cinder females can't exist so..... it's not as bad as I thought. ;)

Way too much reading and way too little time. I just checked my pep stripe clutch (male pep stripe X female amel double het). There are both male and female peppermints in there. Hopefully I will have the same results with her sister's clutch.

Unfortunatley when I typed the below out, I didn't have any order on who went first, the male of the pairing or the female. They are all mixed up. All homo Cinders in the below pairings are male.

Amel het Peppermint Stripe X Peppermint Stripe
Should get equal sex ratio (chance aside) of homo cinder offspring since the female is homozygous and the male is het.

Lava Cinder X het Lava Cinder (multiple pairings)
I expect the sex ration of homo cinders to be skewed in all of these pairings. Maybe she will get a crossover or maybe one of the het lava cinders has the cinder allele on her W chromose, depending on her parentage.

Lavender Peppermint or is it Cinder Opal? X Peppermint Stripe
All offspring will be homo cinder and sex ratio should he roughly even.

Hypo Plasma X Lavender Cinder poss het Amel
All the female offspring should have the cinder mutation on their W chromosome and should be able to produce female home cinders when they breed.

Amel het Lavender Cinder X Lavender Cinder poss het Amel
Should he an even sex ratio of homo cinder. Het cinder daughters should have received their cinder allele from the W chromosome of the dame. When bred to a cinder male, the cinder offspring should be female.

PS I HATE MYSELF FOR SAVING BACK LAVA PH CINDER FEMALES INSTEAD OF CINDER PH LAVA FEMALES!

Carol, it is weird that you are getting both male and female peppermints if your female is het cinder. They should lean strongly one way or the other...

This thread is really making me wish I was a more conscientous record keeper.
The females in 2012 were half sisters, only related through the sire. Both were fathered by my original Serpenco male that was het cinder and I bred that male to just about every snake in my collection because I was so excited to have the cinder gene at the time (even if only in het form) This was back in '07, I held back and raised a dozen or so '07 females from 4 moms that over the years I tested for cinder hets as they reached adult size.

Sorry for the confusion

Peppermint x peppermint > 10.0
Peppermint x Orchid > 9.1
Lava Lavender x Bloodred het lava lavender > 6.1

Now I get what your are saying on that both pairing with male peppermint that the ratio is 50/50. All I am saying was that I was extremely unlucky last year and that am I twisting it to put my mind more at ease:D

I'm confused qtken, are you saying that out of 27 eggs you only got two females period? Or were there other females that just weren't homo cinder? The cinder allele shouldn't affect the sex ratio of the clutch as a whole, if you hatch out all males, cinder or not, it should just be the result of bad luck.

It's okay, as long as the snakes we do have pedigrees of conform to my expectations than we are good!

Carol's results are troubling if she mated a male peppermint stripe to a female amel het cinder stripe. The homo cinder offspring should be all male or all female and crossovers seem far to rare for her to get an equal mix of both, that would put a serious dent in my idea.

"It's okay, as long as the snakes we do have pedigrees of conform to my expectations than we are good!"

(That was directed at Jen)

Walter, you sent no info, though I admit looking through your breedings that year to try and figure it out lol. Not that I have a huge gene pool to test her against. I downsized quite a bit on my cinder stuff..

Yeah, I didn't think I would when sending a group of non-feeders out.

If I would have, all I would need is that ID and I could go back and look it up to see what she came from.

My memeroids aren't what they used to be (only human and getting older)and as far as I can recall, I've never produced a female, however apparently I did.
To be honest, I didn't even remember her until you mentioned it.

Walter

It was the only cinder in the lot, there were hypo lavs and what not in there also. My memory ain't what it used to be either . I'm assuming you probably did a whole bunch of cinder pairings in 09?

PS I HATE MYSELF FOR SAVING BACK LAVA PH CINDER FEMALES INSTEAD OF CINDER PH LAVA FEMALES!

Don't beat yourself up Carol over something you (we) didn't know.
This is all new info to all of us, but now we know !!!

BTW, did you get my email ??

Walter

Way to go Jen !!! That did help a little. Back in 2009 I had a total of 33 breedings with only ( 1 ) Cinder related breeding.

The pair was ID ~ BJ59..........pictured

SIRE: BJ = Upper Keys Miami het Amel Cinder - a 2007 aquired from Carol Huddleston

DAME: 59 = Upper Keys het Cinder - a 2006 aquired from Danny Wynn

That's as far as I can go, because I don't have info on THEIR parents ??

Walter

Attachments

• Miami Keys het Amel Cinder X Upper Keys het cinder (BJ59).jpg
    Miami Keys het Amel Cinder X Upper Keys het cinder (BJ59).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 74
I hope Carol can post the sex of the offspring of her peppermint stripe male x amel het cinder stripe female. She says she got both males and females which shouldn't happen (if there is only one male or female I can chalk it up to a crossover) but if the sex ratio of homo cinder offspring is even then I will have a heart attack!

WTG Walter! And they look both very nice miamis. I bet your 07 miami girl was a relative of mine from carol!
And Duxor?
OK I am a bit late to this thread and terrible with punnett squares, but is this kind of the theory so far?
Het cinder m x het cinder f = male and female cinders
homo cinder male x het cinder female = all male cinders, and all female non cinders (or sometimes vice versa related to the female's chromosome location)
homo cinder m x homo cinder f = male and female cinders
het cinder male x homo cinder female, both male and female cinders

Back