CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

king snake influence in tessera morph?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #81
Kevin S.
I'm with you, Mitch. A year ago I would've been singing a far different tune, but now I'm skeptical at best about tessera "purity" and fairly convinced that the trait did originate from some cal king influence. I can't say it matters to me one way or the other if every tessera did have a great great great great great great great great great grandaddy that was a cal king, I'm just leaning toward accepting that idea is all. For everyone's viewing pleasure, I present a jungle corn that is NOT homozygous for motley, his 75% cal king daughter, and a 75% corn with no tessera influence.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #82
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Mulks View Post
Like I said, I remember Joe telling me that his single tessera male, the one responsible for siring all of those highly aberrant tesseras, came directly from KJ and is likely more genetically similar to the originating tessera stock than all of the ones we're creating now (that could be why his hatchlings are so variable, because they're not as far removed generationally as are the majority of our tessera breeders right now). As I see tesseras hit the market, I'm seeing cleaner and cleaner dorsal stripes; as we artificially select for the more visually pleasing morph.
The Tessera breeders I use are 2009 vintage. I don't know what year Joe's is but I highly doubt the stock I use are any further removed from the original stock than Joe's.The only time I notice a fair amount of variability is when combining with another pattern changing gene.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #83
Mitchell Mulks
Yeah, I think the majority of variation to the tessera pattern that Joe had was with the diffusion gene. I've seen other people post diffused tesseras though with very little variation. I just think the whole thing is a genetic mystery that I'm really fascinated with. What a lot of people are saying is true, there's probably never a time when the truth of the tessera gene will be known. But, because what I believe are too many factors to be overlooked that support a hybrid origin, that's the direction I've chosen to go.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #84
Mitchell Mulks
Kevin,

Nice amel tessera!

That is though, a great example of how a super corn can look nearly identical (in pattern) to a tessera. Add two more generations by refining that snake's offspring for the tessera look, the corn morphology and physique, and you have yourself a tessera that no one would question.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #85
Nanci
I don't think that snake looks anything like a Tessera. But- we have already discussed that particular snake in a different thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #86
airenlow
Breed them together and see if it's compatible...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #87
Chip
Those tri-colored hogs look almost exactly like milksnakes.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #88
Tom Tuttle
Here's an Amel Tessera. Imho you're alot further than 2 generations away from this.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #89
Mitchell Mulks
Chip - yes, by the process of convergent evolution both the tricolor hognose and milks share the same color pattern. Both of those snakes though can be found in nature with those patterns. On the other hand, the super corns and the tessera morph occur only in captivity and have both resulted from intense artificial selection. The two groups couldn't be more different.

Nanci - I see a snake that shares multiple characteristics with a tessera. It has a thin continuous dorsal stripe. If it weren't amelanistic the dorsal stripe would be bordered with even thinner black stripes on both sides. Next, the thicker lateral ground stripes mirror those found on a tessera. Also the lower lateral flanking is tessellated. At the minimum, those are four shared characteristics with a tessera. The fifth being the most significant...it's mode of inheritence is the same. How does that snake not at all resemble a tessera? Lastly, instead of simply dismissing any discussion because you've seen the photo before, it would be so much more constructive and rewarding to those of us that didn't share your same experience if it wasn't dismissed as unworthy.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #90
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Breed them together and see if it's compatible...
That.

When someone does that, people might actually give credence to the theories. There are many morphs/patterns that look similar in certain in different species. That, in and of itself, does not mean they are related/hybrid.

Right now they are just theories and nothing more. Currently there is more evidence to them not being hybrids, than there is for them being hybrids. Could that change? Maybe. Without research, trials and evidence beyond untested look-a-likes, it certainly won't.

At this point who really gives a crap? They are pretty morph that is now mixed with a bunch of others, and the prices are at levels everyone can afford thanks to a dominant gene in a prolific species. Either you like them and breed them or you don't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google