CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Life....

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Rich Z
Life....

Life is just so much better without mosquitoes. You don't really realize that until they come back. Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of a single thing that mosquitoes make BETTER in life.

After reading a bunch of stuff about the Mandela Effect, I'm thinking someone who could sell tickets for people to move to another universe where mosquitoes don't exist could make a fortune. Everything else just the same, just no mosquitoes. Sign me up!

Oh yeah, and I would like a universe without yellow flies AND mosquitoes, please and thank you. I will pay extra.

The yellow flies are coming out early this year. We normally get them in June. We only get them one time a year, thankfully. But during that time, going outside is really no fun at all. A mosquito bite you can ignore. Yellow flies, not so much. Those suckers HURT.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Dragonling
Mosquitoes' disappearance might cause the extinction of a scant handful of other species (certain fish and maybe an orchid or two), but nothing further down the chain would be irreparably harmed as far as ecologists can tell. If we could find a way to wipe them out without directly affecting any other creatures, it would probably benefit the planet.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Rich Z
Well, right now I'm thinking that if I had a big red button sitting on my desk that by my pressing it gray squirrels would go extinct too....... *click*

Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
Nanci
Last night I had about an hour to actually sit outside and read a book (Nutrigenomics about dog nutrition or Wild Fermentation about making fermented foods) and could I enjoy my book and glass of wine? No. There were a few mosquitoes, but I'd sprayed my feet and legs with Buzz Off which is made in Gainesville and doesn't feel like I'm coating myself with deadly chemicals. I'd put some drops of vanilla extract around my neck and face, and it worked for about 10 minutes, and as I was congratulating myself on effective natural pest control, the gnats swarmed in and would not leave. I HATE them. I tried to battle it out, but then a bee came and started buzzing around my head, so I retreated back inside. Thanks, Nature.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Rich Z
Yeah, gnats..... The ones around here really don't bite, but they get into your eyes, ears, nose..... Just a plain nuisance. I've got one mosquito magnet running now that is picking up mosquitoes and some yellow flies. I know it has sucked up gnats too, but I haven't looked for them.

I'll probably pick up another MM in a couple months, depending on what the biting insect situation is like then. Actually I have several older ones here that have stopped working over the years. I guess I should look into either figuring out how to fix them myself, or else send them out to have them repaired. But seems to me that I did try to get one repaired years ago, and it came back in the same condition. So maybe that's why I have been hesitant to even look into that option again.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Chambers
Quote:
Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of a single thing that mosquitoes make BETTER in life.
Quote:
Mosquitoes' disappearance might cause the extinction of a scant handful of other species (certain fish and maybe an orchid or two), but nothing further down the chain would be irreparably harmed as far as ecologists can tell.
That's true, mosquitos bug mostly mammals, the female ones if to be exactly, males pollinate flowers, like orchids, and drink nectar only. If they die, orchids will die also.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Twolunger
Mosquitoes are nature's alarm clocks, they tell you when it's time to go inside.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I'll probably pick up another MM in a couple months, depending on what the biting insect situation is like then. Actually I have several older ones here that have stopped working over the years. I guess I should look into either figuring out how to fix them myself, or else send them out to have them repaired. But seems to me that I did try to get one repaired years ago, and it came back in the same condition. So maybe that's why I have been hesitant to even look into that option again.
Well, I did figure out how to fix the mosquito magnets, so I fixed ALL of them I had sitting around here after they had quit working. Come to find out that there is a $4 oil burner nozzle used to spray the propane into the burning chamber that clogs up eventually because of impurities in the propane. Replace that, and it fixes 99.9 percent of the problems with failed mosquito magnets.

You can find the nozzles on Ebay, but they will ream you there, charging $25 for one of them. The actual part number is Delavan 17545A. Do a search on that part number, and you'll get a much better deal. Specs are 1.75GPH, 45 degree hollow cone. If that one is sold out, I'm sure one with just a minor variance in the specs will work just as well.

BTW, this works for the larger mosquito magnet units, like the independence and executive models. I don't know what they use in the smaller units that run off of an AC power cord.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google