CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Help!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Kittyg145
Unhappy Help!

Recently, I got my corn a heat lamp, after 7 years of no heating whatsoever. She used to come out and be active, but now she never does sinces putting in the lamp. It's not too hot either, a 25 watthe that only heats it up to around 75-80. She is also underweight, as she used to be fed every 3 weeks, but now I'm switching to ever 2. Should I take out the lamp? Or get a working heat pad instead? Please help!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
How long have you had her? She may just be hiding because she's getting ready to shed. Heat lamps really aren't the best choice for corn snakes because they use belly heat to digest. Plus, heat lamps tend to dry out the air too much and they're more of a fire hazard. An under tank heater would be a better option.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Twolunger
Is the heat lamp a heat bulb that is brighter than she is used to, or a ceramic heat bulb that only gives off heat, but not light? A ceramic heat bulb of 25 watts should not be a problem, if the top of the tank is screen and most of the heat rises anyway. If it is a lamp that is bright it may be a problem, if she isn't just hiding to go into a shed.

Under tank heaters are recommended, however, they should be on a thermostat so they don't get too hot.

Feeding every three weeks is a long stretch for even adult corns. I feed my adults every 10 or 12 days unless it's breeding season, then I feed females more often.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
DeuceRon
I agree with the other posts. Lose the heat lamp and fatten her up. I feed mine every seven days and trust me, they are hungry! Good luck

Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Kittyg145
I've had her since june, and she just shed, so that's out. The heat lamp does give off light, and heat. Should loose the lamp even if I can't get a pad soon? I mean, she's lived her entire life without heating so far, so it should be okay? Thanks for the advice! I looked up a video about snake weight and I was shocked at how thin she is, as her spine is pronounced. I also feel really bad, I didn't know

Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Twolunger
Regarding the heat, it depends upon the ambient room temperature in the room where she lives. If the normal room temperature is 80 degrees like mine in Florida they can live without more heat, but belly heat does help with digestion. If your rooms are in the low to mid 70's heat is required. If you turn that lamp off at night you may find that she has become more nocturnal to escape the bright light, and is more active then. You have already learned a valuable lesson in nutrition. Get her healthy but not overweight.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
Kittyg145
Thanks again! I'm in california, and we keep our house at 76 or warmer, so I'm hoping she'll be okay then.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google