• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

still wont eat help!

How do you feed bug usually? What are you feeding? I would take a half of pink if he is young and thaw in HOT tap water as hot as your faucet gets. Then put him in a deli cup or platic tupperware with holes and leave him in this with the pink alone. I put mine in his deli cup he came in and then put the deli cup in his cage with the lids ON. Then I cover the cage with a towel and leave the room closing the door for a few hours. I hope this works!

First, don't panic. Corn snakes can go quite awhile without eating.

How old is bugs and how big? What are the temps in his viv, and when was the last time he/she shed? What feeding techniques have you tried?

A lot of older corns will self-brumate this time a year, and sometimes even younger ones will go off their food for awhile. Be sure to read through this thread as well for some help:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

well last time he ate he ate a whole pinky at room temp but when i feed i put him in the box that i got when i got him it is ventalated ive already left him in the box for a couple of hours but i went to check on him he still hasnt eaten it sometimes he looks like hes interested in it but wont eat

Try scenting the pink with juice from a can of tuna packed in water.

Check the temps in the viv, if it's too hot or too cold often they'll go off their food.

Sometimes they stop eating when they're getting ready to shed. Check to see if maybe he's working on some new skin.

Don't stress him out by trying to get him to eat every day, wait 2-3 days in between each attempt before you try again.

Good luck!

well i dont have any tuna so i cant do that maybe i can go get some but all the temps are fine he also doesnt look like hes starting to shed hes sleeping or resting during the day time but hes very active at night and he seems to be calm and collected when i picked him up today. after a week i did call the people from petco where i got him and they told me to wait another week if he doesnt eat i might have to take him to the vet.

Ok i tried to sent it with tuna juice after i thawed it still acted like he was interested but then turned his away and went for the glass and rubbed his head on the glass. Should i be worried? What should i do?

I had a baby that once I got her home didn't eat for 4 weeks. Two weeks really isn't that long, so don't be worried yet.

Keep trying different ways, but be sure to leave her for a few days in between each feeding attempt. I would also take a hands off approach until she eats. No handling at all until you get some food in her belly and out the other end.

If you read through the health/feeding issues forum here on this site ( http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 ), you'll find all sorts of people who've gone through the same thing and tons of good advice on different ways to try and get the little buggers to eat.

lots of things can contribute to making a young snake stop eating. Give him a few more days of settling in, exploring etc. Don't handle him. Feed him again overnite and resist the urge to peek in til morning.

With new snakes (at any age, but especially young ones) it's a good idea to let them become established eaters in their new surroundings before you handle them much. Many have no problems eating but stress in other, unseen and/or unknown ways. Broth-scenting, wiggling, braining etc. can be good methods to get noneater's to eat; the negative side is you run the risk of getting a snake that wont eat unless it moves, or smells like tuna salad, or has brains smeared everywhere. Your best bet, and jmho, is to leave it alone, let it settle in, and try in five to seven days.

I had a few babies last year that didn't eat for two months. I tried everything. Scenting with tuna water and rodent bedding, ft pinky, live pinky, brained pink, pinky with ivory soap, and lizards/lizard scent. Finally they all ate pinky boiled for 1 minute then brained and put in cup in bathroom with the shower running on hot to create high humidity. Talk about high matenence. After a few feeding like that, they all started eating regular f/t pinks.

i havent handled it much cause he tends to be an all nighter and rest in his tree during the day time so....i did scent his food with tuna he seemed interested but he quickly turned his head and went bonkers he went around his cage i dont know how many times and pressed his nose on the glass like hes trying to get out

You could try getting a knife and cutting at the head of the pinkie until it is showing blood..the scent of the pinkie's blood might help get the snake wanting it..best of luck to you...also always wait at least 5 days before trying to feed after a refusal..

Hows the temp in the cage? If it is cold, it might not want to eat. It is there normal time to burmate. Just a thought.
I have an adult snake that wont eat for six to eight weeks starting around January. Don't know how he knows it is winter(temp in cage is constant). Come around Mid Feb. He starts back eating.

He has fed for you before, so I really think he might just be preparing to shed. If he doesn't show signs of being 'blue' in the next week, do attempt another method of feeding. I personally would give him a few more days to see if he's blue.

Also, don't waste your money calling Petco - any other questions, ask them here! :)

Its been four weeks and he still wont eat ive tried everything that everyone has told me and nothing he barely moving today

I had a problem like yours when my girl was on pinks, my soloution was to get some adult mice defrost one then open up it's gut and pop out the intestines and rub the pink in it to get lots of stinky scent on then dangle it infront of her so she could get the scent....never thought anything could move that fast....if that tuna thing doesn't work try it, slightly ickey but what have you got to lose. you may also try leaving it in one place to feed (less stress). Not an expert i just go by trial and error and a whole heap of panic (Plus the great folks here)

Well got some bad news bugs didnt make it he hid in his little rock and passed : ( I just found him not too long ago

Back