CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake not eating

Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
pilbers999
Exclamation Snake not eating

I have two corn snakes which are kept apart in their own Viv's, one is eating fine and has no problems. The other has stopped eating for nine weeks now and I am starting to worry a little, before the snake stopped eating it was on two medium to large pinkies. The first week it stopped it had a complete shed with no problems. The Viv is set to 80 degree F. I have seen the snake drinking its water. Both snakes have been kept in the same room but I have tried placing the non eating snake in another room to see if this helps. But it has not. The pinkies are warmed using hot water and i have tried braining, cutting in halve, slitting the back etc, but this snake is still showing no sign of eating. I have tried placing in smaller cage and covering for a few hours and over night, but still no pinkies have been eaten. I have tried teasing the snake by moving the pinkie but the snake is not bothered by it and will totally ignore it. The snake is still active when held and when its in its Viv it will find somewhere to hid and spend days in the same spot until it decides its wants to change its spot.
I am not sure if the non eating snake is a male snake and this is the reason for its non eating. At the time I got the two snakes it was the biggest snake and was eating it food really well, now it is the smaller snake and seems to be losing weight. At the time I got the snakes I was told by the shop that they were six months old, this was back in March 06, The snake is approximately a foot and a halve in length.
Please Help
Many Thanks Pilbers999

Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Chris Olson
Try leaving it alone for a week. Sometimes in a panic, people will relentlessly offer a food snake when it refuses, but this can actually reinforce the non-feeding response by stressing the animal. Give him a week with no unnecessary handling and without offering him food. After a week, put him in a deli cup overnight with the thawed mouse.

Good luck, Chris

Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
pilbers999
Thanks for that Chris the snake has been left alone every week in between feeds but is still refusing to eat this week we left the snake 10 days but he is still not eating we are very worried he just has no interest in the food we just don't know what else to try as we have done everything we can possibly think of and read in books. Many thanks pilbers999

Old 06-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
CMatt2157
Have you tried feeding live? Sometimes that sparks the snake to eat. Just a thought, have you tried raising your temps to around 85F on the warm side and having the cool side around 75?... so as to have a gradient of 75-85F

Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Chris Olson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt2157
so as to have a gradient of 75-85F
....excellent advice. Often overlooked.......snakes need temperature options....

Chris

Old 06-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Silvergrin
Things to try maybe;
Feeding live,
feeding lizard scented (or possibly even lizard bits)
feeding in a paper bag

I've never had to try lizard-scented, but it's a trick I've heard about. Some hatchlings seem intimidated by live mice, others get annoyed enough at them that they eat them.
I have one Kenyan Sand Boa that only eats in a small brown paper bag (like, the kind you might pack a lunch in). Not in a deli cup, not in his home, nowhere but a paper bag. Often will only take live too. Maybe that trick would work for a reluctant corn...

I also have a corn or two that have taken to turning their noses up at mice, and eating only rat pups and quail chicks. That's way too big for a baby, but perhaps could also be useful for scenting?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
pilbers999
Many thanks for all your suggestions i will give them all a try apart from feeding live as in the UK this is illegal so therefore would not be able to buy live pinkies . the snake is still very active even though he has missed 9 feeds i am just keeping my fingers crossed that its down to him been horny ( as men are ). Can anyone tell me how long the mating season lasts so i can have a rough idea of when he should start eating if this is the problem. Many thanks pilbers999

Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilbers999
Can anyone tell me how long the mating season lasts so i can have a rough idea of when he should start eating if this is the problem. Many thanks pilbers999
Your snake seems alittle young to be wanting to mate, but then again, I'm not a snake; what do I know. I know breeders in these forums have been posting that some males are just starting to eat again since the beginning of March. Hopefully you've got an early bloomer and he'll start soon. Let us know how he does.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
pilbers999
Hi Just Thought I Would Update You All I Have Today Tried Lizard Scented Pinkies He Still Will Not Eat .we Have Been Putting Avipro Plus In His Water For The Last 7 Weeks . The Temperature In Viv Is Ok And He Still Quite Active And Drinking . Can Anyone Tell Me How Long A Young Snake Can Survive Without Food I Am Starting To Think He Has Just Give Up On Life . Please Help

Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
albinoscooby
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilbers999
Hi Just Thought I Would Update You All I Have Today Tried Lizard Scented Pinkies He Still Will Not Eat .we Have Been Putting Avipro Plus In His Water For The Last 7 Weeks . The Temperature In Viv Is Ok And He Still Quite Active And Drinking . Can Anyone Tell Me How Long A Young Snake Can Survive Without Food I Am Starting To Think He Has Just Give Up On Life . Please Help
have you tried braining yet? That may work. Or gutting. He is a foot and a half. Can't you try something bigger than a pink? Try at least a hopper so it will be alive. Are you allowed to buy hoppers in the UK?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google