CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

things for a new baby corn

Old 06-13-2002, 07:21 PM   #1
Garrett__16
Talking things for a new baby corn

Hello everyone!!!

I am preparing for a new baby corn that I am going to get July 17. I already have bought a reptile water dish, a half log hide, a turtle shell hide, and a heat lamp with a 25 watt bulb. And I am still going to buy some aspen bedding, a 20 gallon aquarium, a thermometer, some grapevine, a cage lid, and last but definitely not least a baby snow corn. Is there anything that I have forgotten, over-looked, or is there anything else that you would recommend I have that would better prepare my snake for its new home or would make it more comfortable here? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Jr Nimeskern
Hey Gerrett if you are really going to get a baby corn snake... I would start out with just a 10 gal nothing to big... when he gets older and bigger then you can go and get him the bigger encloser... large areas for the baby corns will stress them out... but if you have alot of hides like it sounds like you do then it might not be all that bad... make sure you have a lid that wont let your baby corn out if they get out its really hard to find them... well it sounds like you got pretty much everything under control... hope you get the perfect snake...

Old 06-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
Iris
don't forget a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
For your lamp..is it a regular bulb? If so, then you might want to buy one of the special reptile bulbs that are infrared I think. I'm not that familiar with lamps...
But anyway, yeah that way you can switch the bulb at night and mimic the night/day light cycle. Or you can use a heat pad and just switch off the normal light during the night.
GOod luck with your new snow corn!

Old 06-13-2002, 11:26 PM   #4
CornsnakeKeeper
Sounds good, pal...
Glad to see someone well educated before buying a corn.
I would either get a night bulb for that lamp or a heat pad. The light on 24/7 isn't good for the snake.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:03 AM   #5
Simon
As cornsnakekeeper said, the light would stress the snake.

Use either an infrared light bulb or heat mat.

Old 06-14-2002, 07:14 AM   #6
Katie
Agreed

Lol. Ok, so we all agree on looking into getting a heat mat. I also agree that you should get a humidity gauge. Not NECESSARY but nice to have. I disagree with a 20 gallon being too big though. Just add lots of small hides all over the place and it should be fine. Also, if you already have the 2 fancy store bought hides (which are very nice to look at) it would be silly to go buy 2 or 3 more that will just have to be removed as the snake grows and needs more room anyway. You can just use little card board boxes with holes cut in the side of them untill your snake adjusts to it's new home and feels more secure. It's cheap and easy, plus if you find a place to get a bunch you can just toss them out when they get dirty!

Good luck with your new corn!

Old 06-14-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
Snakebite001
Talking ....

i think u have EVERYTHING!
I got a baby corn snake a couple of months ago so i know what u are going through...email me at

Lizzyxhx@aol.com or
send me a private message..

Lizzy and Sidney
xxxx

Old 06-14-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
CornsnakeKeeper
When my corns are young, the love to hide in and crawl through paper towel tubes.... Just another tip to help you save some money. They are cheap and disposable.

Don't worry too too much. You sound like you'll have everything ready! Don't forget to share some pictures...

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #9
CornsnakeKeeper
One more quick recommendation:

My snakes love to burrow in their bedding and since, like a heat rock, they then get really close to the heat pad which can sometimes get too hot, they risk burning themselves. Before I put the bedding in, I lay down a piece of repti-carpet. This helps to spread the heat and they don't go under it, so they are safe from getting burnt.

I am also concerned. My snakes love to crawl around the lip of the cage's lid. if you have a heat lamp up there. They may be able to get too close for their own good.

Just trying to keep your snake safe...

Old 06-14-2002, 06:59 PM   #10
Jayde
Lightbulb

What I done when my hatchlings were released from there eggs was, I put them in one of those small portable plastic containers and put a caster stop as a water dish, toilet roll tube for hiding places and general social place and a 4inch bath luffer for help with shedding and with the holes that run through the luffer to hide in for all 12 to share.
They like small places, they like to feel squashed so they can feel the surroundings around them.

Hope this helps!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google