• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pros and Cons of Corn Snakes as Pets?

Wombatman

Hi all,

I really want a corn snake but my dad thinks they stink because every time I would pick up a garter snake from the back yard, it would musk. I want a list of the pros and possibly some cons for having a corn snake.

Sorry if I sound like a noob, because I am...

Thanks in advance,
wombatman:toiletgra

Hello!

As far as pros, there are so many! Especially in comparison to mammalian pets. Corn snakes are quiet, tamable, and not particularly needy. They don't need to be fed as often as mammals, though their water should be checked regularly (to make sure that it's clean, and that they don't run out). And contrary to your father's belief, they aren't smelly! Any wild snake is fairly likely to musk you, and garter snakes seem to be particularly known for doing so. A tame pet snake will (almost) never musk. None of my corns have ever done so, and not all of them have been particularly friendly.

I can hardly think of any bad things about owning a corn snake, quite frankly. Unless you have difficulty getting food for them. As long as you have a steady supply of mice (live, if you prefer, but more easily frozen/thawed), then you're pretty much set! Just make sure your enclosure is pretty well escape proof. They can be pretty sneaky sometimes.

Hopefully that helps. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from other members as well. Good luck!!!

Thanks so much. Hopefully my parents will agree :)

Now I am wondering where I would get my corn. I don't want to get it at some random Petsmart or Petco. I would prefer a nicer, healthier snake from a breeder. I live in Colorado so if you know of any breeders that would ship for less if they are closer. I also would like to be able to choose my color pattern.

There's only one con, there addictive... that is if you think that's a con, otherwise it's all pros from then on.

I know that you can pick up corns for cheap at the Reptile Expo in Denver, Colorado Corns will have some really great ones to choose from :)

Pros for me:

- Not as demanding as a cat or dog, so if I'm too busy to do anything other than spot-clean, they don't mind.

- As adults, they eat once a fortnight meaning that they poop once a fortnight and need cleaning once a fortnight. Once set up, "proper" care is a minimal burden compared to some other pets.

- If you're going away for a week or less, you won't need to find anyone to look after a Corn. As long as the setup is correct and you provide an extra water dish, Snakey won't miss you at all.

- Minimal nuisance: Corns don't get into the neighbour's garden and poop in their vegetable plot or dig up their flowers. They also don't honk in your slippers, howl under your window at 2am or demand to be taken for walks when it's pouring with rain. They don't make any noise and as long as you clean up as soon as possible when they poop, they don't smell.

If you've never owned a snake before I'd go with a juvenile corn rather than a hatchling. Yes, the prices for hatchlings, especially at reptile shows, is VERY tempting. I've seen a hatchling corn go for as little as $10.00 at a show. BUT they hide ALL THE TIME because they are at the stage of life where everything considers them food and they can be kinda flighty for the same reason. Better to pay a bigger price for an older, more robust snake that's used to being handled. I picked up my Draconia for $50.00 as an adult. She's much bigger now and one of my favorites to handle and let other people handle. She's the perfect snake.

As far as the musking goes, its rare that I get musked by a corn of ANY age. You really have to upset them! Garters? Yeah, they're much easier to upset and they DO musk. ( I've got 3! Luckily their tank is next to the sink! )

You can also not handle your corn for several days and it still will be okay. They won't turn into a savage beast that think they're a cobra! It'll be fine!

Let your dad read this. Hope this helps!

Devon

Devon

i agree with what everyone says so far. they dont stink so long as you spot clean their poo up after they go, which is not very often, theyre not needy, once you get their routine and care down theyre pretty easy to care for,AND theyre great pets. but one thing you must consider is how long some snakes, like corns, live. i think its a definite pro to think ill probably have my snakes until im middle aged, but for someone younger, it can be hard to comprehend the length of a snakes life in comparison to your own. i just hate seeing people who get tired of their snake or lose interest, or who have life changes like work and school later in life that doesnt necessarily go along with being a good pet owner. dont get me wrong, there are farrrrrr more pro's than con's. and i wouldnt ever trade my snakes for another pet or give them up to someone else if given the chance. just make a responsible decision and consider that your snake will be around (hopefully) until you are older. and i dont mean 10-14 years like a dog, they will be around for more like 16-23 yrs if all goes well. theyre amazing, beautiful, and (for the most part =p) gentle and kind animals. just make sure that a snake is the right pet for YOU. good luck with whatever you and your dad choose, but i hope weve swayed his opinion on these critters. =]

Back