• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any fellow herpers?

Hey you know what else...I'm not sure what the regulations are in NC, but here in FL, it's illegal to touch a venomous snake (unless you have a permit). Like, I can't legally go to my friend's house and capture the coral snake living in their garage and relocate it. I can't take a hook and arrange a rattlesnake for a nice photo. I'm sure such things go on, but people sure don't talk about it on the internet where anyone, like wildlife officers, can read it.

Not a joke. I know a person, who used to post here all the time, who brought home a WC snake that her kid really liked, that they had found out road cruising. Wildlife officials found out about it, either from reading it themselves of from someone trying to get her in trouble, and she got charged, and had to go to court. She didn't even _know_ she wasn't supposed to have it!

So just- be careful. THat's all.

Good points. Very well said Nanci. Can't (or shouldn't) argue with such logic. I'll even dispense with my usual metaphors, 'cause to distract from your points throughout this thread would be irresponsible & dimwitted.

Gotta admit sdavis2, sometimes no matter what we're trying to say, it CAN come out sideways, at best, as opposed to the bigger picture and when it impacts many others outside of our worlds, regardless of its perimeters. Just sayin' dude. :crazy01:

I took a herp course in college years ago. Part of the curriculum involved a field study of snakes in the Everglades. We walked around tracking and counting rattlesnakes - all species. What impressed me most about them was the pygmy's ability to hide. Young ones would be sitting motionless on a leaf next to your hand and you would barely notice it if not actively seeking them. That excursion gave me a healthy respect for them, more than I had prior. Hold a venomous snake with bare hands? That is a gamble I would not risk no matter how close I was to medical care. I understand why someone would want to, they are beautiful, but the potential for long term problems in my opinion is not worth the risk.
We were fortunate to encounter many different species during the time. My personal favorites were the blue garter snake and the indigo snake. Just amazing coloration.

OMG I love pygmy rattlesnakes! A few years ago I took my boyfriend on a surprise date- road cruising with Daniel Parker. I've lived in FL since 1998- I've never seen a pygmy. There were TONS of them, all over the place, and Daniel had the eye for spotting them. I'm sure I've been driving, walking, running past them all the time, not knowing they were there.

I think actually my favorite native venomous snake is the lowly cottonmouth. I just love them. We go to Snake Road every spring for the migration, and the majority of snakes we see are cottonmouths. They are so chill- perfect photo subjects. I love that place. One day, we sat on a log at the side of the road to eat lunch, and a female cottonmouth basked in the sun a few feet away from us, completely undisturbed by our presence.

Speaking of copperheads, how about a couple broad-bandeds I found last week.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Their accounts can be found here:

http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/3681071

http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/3681072

I've only found one copperhead, ever. In the middle of a sun spot in a single track mountain bike trail, in the woods. A very small one.

I've come across pygmy rattlesnakes several times while hiking. My dog almost stepped right on one! I've never heard of Snake Road. Where is that? Watching a migration would be fascinating.

I've never heard of Snake Road. Where is that? Watching a migration would be fascinating.

Southern Illinois. Going to be a decent group of herpers out there in October observing critters coming in for brumation. Spoke with a friend of mine that's going again this fall. In years past, a slow day out there is 30 snakes, mostly cottonmouths.

I've only found one copperhead, ever. In the middle of a sun spot in a single track mountain bike trail, in the woods. A very small one.

Prior to those 2 above, my only ever copperhead was DOR either last year or 2014. The duller one is my "lifer", the brighter animal was found 20 or 30 minutes later. A friend and I were out in an attempt to find western pygmies (Sistrurus miliarius streckeri) but we struck out. Doesn't help looking for them in the western, fragmented portion of their range though. But that's kind of how he, I, and other friends roll when herping.

sdavis... same goes for you FL folks...Nanci, Raven, etc.

I strongly suggest reaching out here:
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=6b6cda6d2e281e7b7f7daefc52984256

That's the Forum for the North American Field Herpers Association (N.A.F.H.A) - Southeast Chapter. It covers NC, as well as other SE states. Each NAFHA Chapter does at least some sort of annual herping trip, in junction with the annual national NAFHA trip.

Reach out to Josh Holbrook, he might still be the Chapter President. Noah M would be another to reach out to. Unfortunately, both are in FL. I'm spacing on who I know from NC that does herping up there.

If you can get a hold of him, Daryl Camby, goes by Camby on here but he's not very active, is out of my childhood stomping grounds of the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach/Horry County area of SC...last I knew. I've known Camby, only via the web, for going on probably 18-20 years now, though I haven't chatted with him since 2014 or 2015. I know Daryl to also be into herping.

All the lecturing aside....

Just get out into the field and have some fun, but be smart and safe about it.

Attachments

• CoCo-3-24-2009-2.jpg
    CoCo-3-24-2009-2.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 34
  • LaGe-3-27-09.jpg
    LaGe-3-27-09.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CrWi-9-8-2010-2.jpg
    CrWi-9-8-2010-2.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 37
  • CrWi-9-8-2010-3.jpg
    CrWi-9-8-2010-3.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 35
  • SeTr-9-9-2010.jpg
    SeTr-9-9-2010.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 35
sdavis... same goes for you FL folks...Nanci, Raven, etc.

I strongly suggest reaching out here:
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=6b6cda6d2e281e7b7f7daefc52984256

That's the Forum for the North American Field Herpers Association (N.A.F.H.A) - Southeast Chapter. It covers NC, as well as other SE states. Each NAFHA Chapter does at least some sort of annual herping trip, in junction with the annual national NAFHA trip.

Reach out to Josh Holbrook, he might still be the Chapter President. Noah M would be another to reach out to. Unfortunately, both are in FL. I'm spacing on who I know from NC that does herping up there.

If you can get a hold of him, Daryl Camby, goes by Camby on here but he's not very active, is out of my childhood stomping grounds of the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach/Horry County area of SC...last I knew. I've known Camby, only via the web, for going on probably 18-20 years now, though I haven't chatted with him since 2014 or 2015. I know Daryl to also be into herping.

All the lecturing aside....

Just get out into the field and have some fun, but be smart and safe about it.

I actually have a second home in north myrtle if you think he'd ever be willing to link up and do some herping. I'm down there usually at least a weekend out of the month.

My frist ever was a huge speckled king snake. Im only 5 foot 2 he was longer then I was. I came home from school one day to find my large male cat staring at the AC vent. I looked in there all I could see was a bunch of white spots. I knew what it was. So I careful unscrew the vent and stated to left him out. He was about 3 inc in diameter and most likely over six feet long. He was so claim he just let me hold him for a while. Everyone in the neighborhood started to call me Dr Doolittle. My mom still calls me that. Not just for the snake, but I also befriended a number of feral cats a squirrel and number of others. Just yesterday I was at petsmart. Mine is a really good one. Most of the employees knows how to take of the animals. I asked the guy if I could see the corns that they had there. He said yes but just warning they are quite bitty. I said ok. I picked them one up at a time not one of them try to strike or hisss or musk. He asked if I need a job. But I have had a zoo peolpe ask if I need a job also.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

A few catches

Coach whip at 7`9," two Yellow Rats at 7`2," an Indigo at 7`7." Two Eastern Diamonbacks having, nature, at 5`10," and 5`8."

Back