CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Best time to feed new baby

Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
DandelionDeity
Best time to feed new baby

Hello! I got a corn (hatched 9-21-17) on Wednesday (March 14th). I only handled him on that first day to place him in his tank, and change his bedding after he spilled his water (I replaced the bowl right away and now he can't tip it). His breeder said that he was last fed on March 6th, and I'm concerned when next to feed him. He's fairly young and doesn't seem too fearful but I also know not to try and move him to a feeding box or feed him for several days after his arrival. Should I wait the full week before trying or since he's young and a good eater (according to his breeder he happily eats once a week) can I try and feed him this Monday? (March 19)

Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Twolunger
Go for it! The conventional wisdom is to wait a few days so he can settle in, and there's nothing wrong with that plan. However, I have received hatchlings via FedEx and opened the box and dropped pinkies into the little deli cups and some of the corns ate right away. If your little guy is hungry he will eat. Move him to a small container with a pinkie, cover it and check on him in 20 minutes. If he doesn't eat right away, try again in a day or two. Some people leave the corn with the pinkie overnight, but I don't.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Dragonling
I typically also feed right away. However some months ago I read a very long and compelling argument for waiting. I wish I could repeat it from memory, but the short of it was that there's always a chance a hatchling especially will refuse because of shipping stress, and that there's a chance it could set a precedent for future refusals. Of course for those of us prepared to deal with problem feeders, this is a minimal risk we can afford to take. For the average pet owner? It really doesn't hurt to wait an extra week. I have a tiny Pueblan milksnake upstairs that didn't take a meal in over 10 weeks before I acquired him. An extra 5-7 days between feeds isn't going to put a dent in a healthy baby corn snake.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 AM   #4
DandelionDeity
Well, I ended up trying today and he took it no problem. Had the whole thing down in 10 minutes and happily went to go hide in his tank. I'm going to weigh him after he digests his meal. I'm not sure what weight he's supposed to be at at his age but he's still on pinkies and I was told he was fed only once a week. I'm not sure if I should increase how often he's fed until he moves to a larger prey size or not

Old 03-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I typically also feed right away. However some months ago I read a very long and compelling argument for waiting. I wish I could repeat it from memory, but the short of it was that there's always a chance a hatchling especially will refuse because of shipping stress, and that there's a chance it could set a precedent for future refusals. Of course for those of us prepared to deal with problem feeders, this is a minimal risk we can afford to take. For the average pet owner? It really doesn't hurt to wait an extra week. I have a tiny Pueblan milksnake upstairs that didn't take a meal in over 10 weeks before I acquired him. An extra 5-7 days between feeds isn't going to put a dent in a healthy baby corn snake.
I would like to know who wrote the article you mentioned. I'm always curious about these articles, and if they actually conducted an experiment with a control group, or just surmised that such a feeding refusal was caused by shipping. Were there records of the hatchlings eating before shipping? Anything is possible, but I've never had a corn refuse to eat because it was shipped. It may be possible that the shipping box was handled roughly and the corn suffered some internal damage. But, as you stated, if there is any doubt, just wait.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Dragonling
It wasn't an article, it was a comment on facebook, hence why I'm not even going to attempt to find it. There was a hypothetical scenario posed, but I could not begin to reconstruct it.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
It wasn't an article, it was a comment on facebook, hence why I'm not even going to attempt to find it. There was a hypothetical scenario posed, but I could not begin to reconstruct it.
Okay, didn't mean to put you on the spot. I'm always willing to learn about snakes, especially if it is something I had not considered. But I try to draw the line at conjecture. In the scenario mentioned the person is obviously trying to be helpful.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
DandelionDeity
I just weighed him today and my scale says he's about 7 grams. I'm not sure what weight he's supposed to be at but I figure I should be feeding every 5 days? He eats fine

Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionDeity View Post
I just weighed him today and my scale says he's about 7 grams. I'm not sure what weight he's supposed to be at but I figure I should be feeding every 5 days? He eats fine
Boy, that's not much weight for a corn that's over 5 months old. I'd feed him every 4 days with a goal of moving him up to large pinkies and then peach fuzzies as soon as possible. I also dust the prey lightly with reptile vitamins and probiotics at least every 3rd or 4th feeding. But that's something I do, some feel it's unnecessary.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
DandelionDeity
To anyone who knows more about corn snakes (my butter is my first one) is it normal to feed a little over six month old snake a large pinkie once a week? I read somewhere that they're usually on several pinkies to almost a fuzzy by then, but I'm not sure

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google