• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Curious to know ???

Walter Smith

CRAZY BOUT' CORNS !!
I've been thinking about something for a while now this year and I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced this.

I notice that my male corn snake's breeding activity seem to highten during mild temps along with a rainy day. I know that humidity levels seem to highten breeding activity, but I'm curious if barametric pressure has something to contribute to hightend breeding activity in males as well.

I don't have a barometer at this time, but am thinking about getting one just to do a study on this............just very curious.

I don't expect it, but has anyone ever recorded the barametric pressure during the breeding season to seeing if low or high measurements make a difference in a hightend breeding activity??

If so, I would be interested to know your findings, so please post them here.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

I don't have any scientific data to back-up what i've noticed....but here goes:

It's winter here in ohio, so most moisture is locked-up in the form of frozen water. This being said, humidity on any given day isn't much over zero if at all.

The males Seems to be On it...If ya know what i mean. Females not so much, Although i did have a pair lock last night. Which marks the earliest i've ever had a pair get together.

Taking the above info into account...it's interesting to note....the temps have risen into the high 30's low 40's the last few days....with a nice little rain overnight... the next day....My first lock.

Thats my two cents. Whether the weather had an effect(most likely), or if my timing was just impeccable, and i placed them together at the exact moment each snake was "Ready" (Not so likely), Is anyone's guess. no instrumentation to back up what i've experienced

Thunderstorms seem to be the ultimate aphrodisiac for mine so I think the barometric pressure has a lot to do with it. Never measured it though.

My corns have been out of brumation since mid Dec, and my breedings have been underway for a couple weeks now. I've gotten 34 females of 62 already bred..........a few at least once and most 2 and 3 copulations, however I've noticed some of my males have an interested with a particular female one night and not the next, or maybe even no interest for 2 night in a row, but the third night gets interest back with the same female...:shrugs: Kinda odd actually because I'm experiencing this a bit more this year than I ever have.

This is why I'm curious as to if barametric pressure could be at play.

Walter

Low barometric pressure seems to cause a many vortexes of uncontrollable activity in many dwellings including the snakes. Toss in a full moon, a happy meal, and the stage is set for a big matinee.

Most of the research that we have encountered at our herp conferences say that reptiles are very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure. The approach of a thunderstorm usually brings about a dramatic drop in barometric pressure and will usually cause them to become more active. Lowered barometric pressure (during the passing of frontal systems) also stimulates the breeding urge. Reptiles that dwell in the tropics where there is little seasonal variation in either photoperiod or temperature are stimulated to breed by seasonal variations in humidity and rainfall (the transition from the dry season to wet season).

We can try and dig up some articles if you like - it may take a few days to go through our stuff.

I also have the most lock ups with my trouble breeders during rain storms. Im sure they are able to sense the shift in barometric pressure, tho not so sure as to the roll it plays in breeding. Perhaps there are less predators out in the rain? I never had the "interested one day and not the next" problem. Iv just had the im not breeding with anyone problem.

Most of the research that we have encountered at our herp conferences say that reptiles are very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure. The approach of a thunderstorm usually brings about a dramatic drop in barometric pressure and will usually cause them to become more active. Lowered barometric pressure (during the passing of frontal systems) also stimulates the breeding urge. Reptiles that dwell in the tropics where there is little seasonal variation in either photoperiod or temperature are stimulated to breed by seasonal variations in humidity and rainfall (the transition from the dry season to wet season).

We can try and dig up some articles if you like - it may take a few days to go through our stuff.

Very intersting Buzz. Yes, I would be very interested in those articles. If there is something to learn and become more educated, I'm defiantly for it.

Sure beats not knowing and goofy remarks that we sometime get ;)

Walter

Back