• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Natural Moss Growth in Viv...

2ndGenSnakeDude

Junior Curtis
Was browsing the net and came across this and thought to myself that is a great idea to get moss to grow on your hides and such to make it seem much more naturalistic. Just make sure you use a sterile moss, so you aren't introducing unwanted biology to your viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 194
That's awesome. Curious to hear if anyone has played around with this idea already or hear any future stories. I'd consider something like that in a naturalistic/living viv (which I intend on setting up for the third snake I plan on getting).

If you try that, don't put buttermilk in it. It's a myth that it helps it grow faster and 9 times out of 10 all your get is a chunky, rotten mess.

I saw that picture some time last year and wanted to try it on the fence in my backyard, sadly my moss froze during the winter. You wouldn't think it would be that cold in so cal ._.

I have seen it offered by alot of reptile suppliers online, if it's alive it probably can't be gauranteed 100% sterile, but it's gotta alot better than something you just pull from a tree, at least it comes from a controlled environment

but does the moss need to be alive? I'm pretty sure it's the spores inside the moss that grows on your aparatus not the old blended up moss itself regrowing

This is a neat idea. Anyone try this before? I agree with the person that started post, I think it would be neat for the wood hides and such...

I think the biggest issue you will find is growing moss in a low humidity viv like a corn snake will need.

Given the humidity requirements, this is something I hoped to utilize in my future ATB viv. In fact, I'm hoping a good moss coating on the sides/back of the viv will not only provide a very natural look but help with the necessary humidity for the ATB.

Back