CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster...

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #31
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Wilomn, I have never engaged you before. This is interesting to see you in action. You're an arrogant ignorant know it all aren't you. Conspiracy and cover ups, rich getting richer, everybody is getting more than their share.
Feel free to prove me wrong. I'd actually like that. It won't happen, but a guy can dream, can't he?

You see, it's not about me at all. I don't have the answer, I don't know how to fix this. What I do know, and you know it too, is that these bastards have lied before. They've lied about some pretty serious stuff.

This is pretty serious. What do you think Mexico and Central America are going to have to say about this when it hits their beaches? What if it does wrap around Fla.?

How many times has this happened before?

What makes you think this wasn't discussed and dismissed as a cost of doing business, and profits are fine, I like them, but sometimes, as is the case here, I think the cost is too much.

And Wade, careful what whisperers you listen to, not everyone is as selfless as they seem.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
wilomn
Quote:
Wilomn, I have never engaged you before. This is interesting to see you in action. You're an arrogant ignorant know it all aren't you. Conspiracy and cover ups, rich getting richer, everybody is getting more than their share.
I'm assuming this was not your opening volley in our first engagement. I know I know, assuming and making this of me and that of you, but I really do expect better from you.

If this is engaging and all.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
What proof do you have of cover ups and scandals that you speak of, other than the speculation of activities of fatcat executives?

While I do not have experience with offshore energy production I have spent countless hours speaking with my dad who has worked around almost all electrical producing powerplant styles, coal, natural gas, and even nuclear and I'm still around these plants often having animal removal contracts with them, these plants have many many fail safes in place and safety is always number one. Nuclear power is something many people are extremely afraid of for all the wrong reasons and should be expanded upon but wont happen as long as the media can keep its death grip on the public.

Don't forget a company without positive cash flow is useless, money is always a top propriety

Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
StrangeCargo
Quote:
So tell me Mr. Water Tester, how many times has this happened with your company?
Go ahead- call me what you'd like...that actually made me laugh outloud. If you understood my job, you'd be laughing too at that name. My family is WELL taken care of. I spend 180+ days a year offshore on oil rigs away from my family, friends and animals.

Sorry to burst your bubble BUT there is no secret society of enviromental coverups... Don't you think that people (like you) are just waiting for stuff like this to happen? If this was a regular occurance- and not a freak accident- don't you think drilling in the gulf would be banned? You do realize that Halliburton is JUST a service provider...we do NOT own the oil rigs...we don't run the oil rigs. There are 10 OTHER companies out here- not just ONE company doing shady illegal things. We are a team- trying to work safely- to provide the United States with oil. Nothing shady goes on.

We are regulated by soooooooo many people. Last week alone we had two suprise visits by inspectors. We are constantly being monitored. Each night I email my reports to three different indipendent companies who look at my lab results. Each month our drilling fluids are tested by independent labs. Everybody and their mother keep an eye on us.

I can see your hatred for my company- don't you think there are hundreds of others like you- many watchdog groups- watching us constantly- waiting for an accident so y'all can point fingers? This recent tradegy has fuled the fire and gave everyone something to point fingers at. It's sad it happened...I pray the to deceased workers & their families... I pray that the Gulf will recover... that the enviroment will be ok... that the local fishermen will be ok... It's a tradegy.

Wilomn, I'm sure your a well meaning person who's just concerned about mother earth. I'm fully behind alternative energy- even if it means I'd be out of a job. Advances in solar and wind technologies are amazing- hopefully they'll continue so there will be no need for oil in the future. I doubt I can convince you otherwise, but there's honestly nothing shady going on out here. This was a freak and tragic accident- nothing more- lessons will be learned and new regulations will be put on the books. Believe me- if they we're doing illegal things, disreguarding safety polocies or destroying the enviroment; I wouldn't be working out here- I'd be back at my prior job as a Museum Curator instead.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
StrangeCargo
Since Halliburton is being "called out" even though only 2 of the ~120+ rig workers were Halliburton employees, here is info straight from teh Halliburton website (www.halliburton.com):
------------------

Sustainability

Sustainability is no longer simply an item on an agenda. At Halliburton, it is much more. No longer constrained to a single team, department or activity, it is infused into everything we do.

The goal of our sustainability efforts is to be welcomed as a good corporate neighbor. This has several components, starting with a commitment to do no harm to the environment. Through the relationships we build, we support social and economic growth in the communities where we do business. Our technologies are assessed for their potential to deliver sustainable benefits not only to our Company and our customers but also to the energy-using world. In everything, we validate our progress through transparency and reporting, with thorough documents such as our Corporate Sustainability Report.

Sustainability thinking influences the way we approach our business every day, and we regard it as the responsibility of every employee. It can be a competitive advantage; it is certainly an advantage to our neighbors, both nearby and in the global community. Sustainability will continue to reach into every corner of our Company, and to shape every aspect of our future.

---------------

Health, Safety, Environment & Operational Excellence (HSE&OE)

At Halliburton, we view HSE & OE as critical to our success and long-term sustainability and we are committed to continuously improve our performance. Our Corporate HSE Policy is overseen by the Health, Safety and Environmental Committee of the board of directors, which provides direction for the management of HSE and input on current and emerging health, safety and environmental issues.

HSE Safety Stats
Halliburton Safety Performance – Current quarterly and previous year results for safety performance for Lost Time Incidents (LTI), Total Recordable Incident Rates (TRIR), and Vehicle Recordable Incident Rates (VRIR) are provided. These are global numbers for Halliburton Company. These rates are based on criteria set by the U.S. based Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) and used globally by Halliburton.

A Memorandum of Agreement
Memorandum of Agreement Between the United States Environmental Protection Agency and BJ Services Company, Halliburton Energy Services, Inc., and Schlumberger Technology Corporation.

Elimination of Diesel Fuel in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids Injected into Underground Sources of Drinking Water During Hydraulic Fracturing of Coalbed Methane Wells.

--------------------------

Recent Halliburton Awards and Recognitions
Technology Awards      

10/2009, World Oil Awards
FreePoint Tool
Real-Time Solutions for Remotely Operating Offshore Rigs
05/2009, Hart's E&P Meritorious Engineering Achievement Awards
Delta Stim® Completion Service
Pore Pressure and Geomechanics Solution
Acid-on-the-Fly (AOF) Blending System
10/2008, World Oil Awards
OpenWorks® Project Data Management System
GEOSIGNAL™ Measurement Service
OmegaFrac(SM) Fracturing Service

Health, Safety & Environment Awards 

1/2010, Chevron's Contractor Health, Environment and Safety Management (CHESM)
Baroid, Cementing and Sperry earn "Grade A" rankings
10/2009, World Oil Awards
FreePoint Tool
Real-Time Solutions for Remotely Operating Offshore Rigs
05/2009, Hart's E&P Meritorious Engineering Achievement Awards
Delta Stim® Completion Service
Pore Pressure and Geomechanics Solution
Acid-on-the-Fly (AOF) Blending System
10/2008, World Oil Awards
OpenWorks® Project Data Management System
GEOSIGNAL™ Measurement Service
OmegaFrac(SM) Fracturing Service

Recognitions

02/2009, International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM) – Rocha Medal for the Best PhD Dissertation
Dr. Gang Li, Halliburton Software and Asset Solutions
01/2009, Service Capability and Performance (SCP) Standards Certification
Landmark North American Support Operation (11th consecutive year)
Landmark Global Support Operation (7th consecutive year)
08/2008, Offshore Northern Seas (ONS) – Roger Vielvoye Memorial Award
Halliburton Norway Communications

Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
wade
Quote:
Feel free to prove me wrong. I'd actually like that. It won't happen, but a guy can dream, can't he?

You see, it's not about me at all. I don't have the answer, I don't know how to fix this. What I do know, and you know it too, is that these bastards have lied before. They've lied about some pretty serious stuff.

This is pretty serious. What do you think Mexico and Central America are going to have to say about this when it hits their beaches? What if it does wrap around Fla.?

How many times has this happened before?

What makes you think this wasn't discussed and dismissed as a cost of doing business, and profits are fine, I like them, but sometimes, as is the case here, I think the cost is too much.

And Wade, careful what whisperers you listen to, not everyone is as selfless as they seem.
Quote:
I'm assuming this was not your opening volley in our first engagement. I know I know, assuming and making this of me and that of you, but I really do expect better from you.

If this is engaging and all.

Nope this isn't my opening volley. You have yet to say anything I would argue about. All I have heard so far is hysterical cries and whimpers. I haven't heard any facts only regurgitated media hype. What would I argue with you about. I wouldn't argue with Chicken Little and I won't with you.

As for what whispers I listen too, there aren't any voices in my head. I believe you are the one who sees dead people.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #37
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCargo View Post
There are 10 OTHER companies out here- not just ONE company doing shady illegal things.
Interesting statement....

I'm glad you saw the humor in the Water Tester jab.

I'm not what you think I am, or seem to think I am.

I'm not against you, I bet you're a hellofaguy to have a beer with. And I'm sure, just from what I've read, that you're quite conscientious about your job. As I've mentioned, it's not about you and me.

Are you privy to all discussions about what goes on underwater? Are you "in the loop" for this type of scenario? What about back up plans for just this occurrence? I don't see how this could be so poorly prepared for given all the promises about safety and preparedness that have been made.

And don't you think pulling glowing reports about someone from their own website is ..... stacking the deck? And the awards they have, neato. Who gives those out again? And they're owned by whom? Yeah, that's what I thought.

IS this the first time this has happened on a haliburton maintained platform? If not, what number is THIS one?

wade, you just keep on thinking, something clever will come to you in no time if you do. I just know it.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #38
wade
Quote:
Are you privy to all discussions about what goes on underwater? Are you "in the loop" for this type of scenario? What about back up plans for just this occurrence? I don't see how this could be so poorly prepared for given all the promises about safety and preparedness that have been made.
You're cute Will. I have a question for you. Are you privy to all the discussions about what goes on underwater? Are you "in the loop"............

Do you have any facts to report or are you just chasing your tail?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #39
Butch
Quote:
Do you have any facts to report or are you just chasing your tail?
Talk about eating your words

Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #40
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCargo View Post
It's Ok, wilomn is just like many of the other people out there- believing all the lies and conspiracy theories. I'm actually out here LIVING it. I just walked outside from looking across the gulf and seeing the boats working on the cleanup. I doubt he's ever been on an oil rig... I bet he drives a car and COMPLAINS about the gas prices. Just a hipocrite BUT I am glad he's concerned about teh enviroment. I LOVE the Gulf Of Mexico and the last thing I like to see if enviromental disasters like this. I'm glad BP is stepping up and spending the $$$ to get it fixed (they are even goning to reimburse commercial fishermen).

My job for halliburton that I'm doing on this well is called TFM (Total Fluids Management). I test the drilling fluid and make sure they are in compliance with enviromental discharges... Heck, I even test the water on the deck to see if there's any oil in it..if so, it's routed through a multimillion dollar cleaner system before it goes in the ocean.

We RECYCLE on the oil rigs...special trash compactors for paper, cardboard & plastics. Each lab/office has recycle bins.

If even a SINGLE drop of oil gets in the Gulf I have to do paperwork...they take the enviroment VERY serious out here.

The media will make us look bad BUT in reality, its a dangerous job- accidents happen- but we spend millions yearly doing everything we can to prevent them.

At home I garden organically, compost kitchen wastes, and do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint.

What happened in teh Gulf is horrible...I hope the cleanup goes quick. MMS (our regulatory people) are already cracking down VERY hard to ensure this doesn't happen again. Alot of new regulations will be coming in place this year... this is VERY serious to the oil industry and the enviroment.

Sorry I babled... many of you might not agree with my line of work...it's ok- I understand... but PLEASE don't believe everything the media tells you BECAUSE we DO care about the enviroment.
Hi! Just so you know, I'm one of those that tends to have a critical eye of ANYTHING the media throws our way... So know that I don't believe all the conspiracy theories, the lies and the "aspersions" that are thrown about.

What's happening in the gulf is a tragedy... and I hope it gets cleaned up VERY soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google