CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Female and male housed together, mating too often?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
AJnoob
Exclamation Female and male housed together, mating too often?

Please help!
I have one couple of corn snakes, (male and female) who have been together all their lives.
They are together in 1 terrarium, and they are mating a lot... Already they mated over 5 times, and the female doesn't seem to like it anymore. She is just laying still and breathing heavily, and her eyes seem a bit deep in the sockets. But still the male wants to mate again. The female is obviously pregnant, her underbelly is swollen with eggs. Is it natural for them to keep on mating? Or should I separate them? Could it hurt her to mate too much? And does anyone know if the heavy breathing of the female is a symptome of pregnancy, or is it something else?
Reactions/help would be very much appriciated!!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
daddio207
Welcome!
I know it's more the norm in Europe to house corn snakes together but they are solitary animals. Stress from frequent mating among other things can be a very detrimental to their health.
SEPARATE THEM ASAP !

Hope all goes well

Old 03-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Twolunger
I'd never leave a female in her condition in with a male. I'm a bit concerned that you said she is swollen with eggs. You need to separate her ASAP and make sure she has a egg laying container in her vivarium. I hope she has not become egg bound. I'd take her to a good veterinarian for an evaluation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google