CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

hypo or amel or what and bred to anery=

Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
dakota11
hypo or amel or what and bred to anery=

Hi all I was just wondering if this lil male corn is a hypomelanistic I thought I was getting amelonistic male whitch to my understanding would give me snow hatchlings if bred to my anerythristic female? If he is hypo the hatchlings would be ghost right?
So what morph is he and what would the two of them produce?? he has brown checkers on belly. am I even close?
thanks a bunch for ur time

Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Crazy Colubrids
If you breed a Amel to an Anery you will get all normals het for anery and amel unless one is het for the other. If you breed the Anery to a Hypo you also get normals het for hypo, anery.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
dakota11
thanks for the info so what is he?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
dakota11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota11 View Post
thanks for the info so what is he?
and is there anything that breeds good with anerythristic?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
wstphal
Well, that depends on what you want to get. All of the interesting colors are homozygous, it's not like ball pythons where everything is co-dom & supers. So if you have an anery, you could breed it to an amel het anery & get normals & snows. You could breed your anery to another anery & get more aneries. And so on.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Shiari
Your snake appears to be a hypo. The pupils are dark, so definitely not an amelanistic.

The vast majority of cornsnake genes are simple recessive. They need two copies to show a color or pattern other than "normal", and this means they have to get one of those copies from each parent.

A hypo bred to a normal produces all normals het for hypo, as they received only one copy of the hypo gene.
A hypo bred to a hypo produces all hypos, as they received two copies of the hypo gene, one from each parent.

Now, when you add in hets, the hidden genetics, then things get fun. For example:

If your hypo is het anery, and you breed it to an Anery, you'll get a mix of normals het anery and hypo, and aneries het hypo.

If your hypo is het anery and you breed it to an Anery het hypo, you'll get a mix of normals het anery and hypo, aneries het hypo, and ghosts, which are expressing hypo and anery at the same time.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
carnivorouszoo
Um, I see a very yellow snake so I am thinking caramel or butter??

Old 07-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
ZoologyGirl
I agree with Shiari, looks to be a hypo,

Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
carnivorouszoo
No matter how I play with my monitor I just do not see a hypo snake. I see a very orangey/brownish yellow snake. I wish I could get to another monitor My own photos appear very accurate to me. dern technology!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Shiari
The neck is very orange, but the saddles on the middle of the snake are red, something you don't get with caramel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google