CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Caramel confusion

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
acer
Caramel confusion

Well, 2 of my clutches this year have me stumped. #1 was a caramel het hypo stripe male x (supposed) normal het butter anery. Something told me to do this pairing because I had a hunch that the girl was also het hypo. Anyway I have not been around enough caramel or amber hatchlings to know exactly what Im looking at, so...

dad

old pic of mom (on the right)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
acer
...a different one, same clutch

Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Susan
1st hatchling is a caramel, 2nd looks like a normal, but MAY be a hypo. A photo showing the color of the belly checks might help in that determination.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
acer
I'll get some more photos tomorrow. What tells you that the first is a caramel? Also, what would you expect to see in an amber taht is not there? There are very few GOOD pictures of the caramel family hatchlings that I can find. Im just trying to learn...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
ghosthousecorns
You know, if the mom is the lighter colored snake in the 4th picture, that looks more like a hypo than a normal to me, but maybe it just a really light one that has the yellow wash that het caramels can get
How many hatchlings are there? It may become more apparent if there's more and you start getting different looks

Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Susan
OK, perhaps a bit more information is needed on both ends.

The best way to try to distinguish hypo hatchlings in a mixed clutch is to compare them to their siblings. I made the assumption that the hatchling photos you posted were after they have shed a few times due to the amount of ground coloration they show. Caramel hatchlings, out of the egg, are very dark, looking almost like anerys but show just a touch of that yellow ground color on the neck. In comparison, I would expect an amber hatchling to look much lighter overall (all I have to go by are two ambers I purchased as hatchlings and photos posted by others).

HOWEVER, there can be very dark hypos that can pass as non-hypos initially, only showing the lighter black markings as they grow older (I'll try to post a progression thread in my personal forum of one such hatchling from an entire clutch that threw me for quite some time). Also, you can get normals that show very little black and can appear to be hypo as a result (I've had some of those as well).

Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
acer
You are right, they have shed twice. This a bad pic of them hatching. Thanks for the help. I'll get more pics after work today.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Susan
Actually, it's a good photo for comparison! Starting at the lower left and moving clockwise, I would say caramel (ground color on neck is yellow), hypo (overall rust color, not yellowish), normal (orange ground color on neck), amber (more yellow shades seen, especially on neck and even more on the head when compared to the hypo hatchling), caramel (yellow ground color on neck), and amber with it's head out of the egg (same head color as other amber, more yellow than hypo hatchling).

Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
acer
Wow, thanks ALOT! Now if they only still looked like that after their sheds... That does give me a basis to go by though. I am color blind to a degree and I see that caramel is not the family of morphs for me to work with, oh well. I can't hardly tell a difference between the ones you call caramel and the normal, or between the hypo and the ambers. Adult are no problem though...

Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
pridecity
Give it a few years. You'll get it. If anything, you could get the morph you want in pairs, such as just straight amber.amber and then you would know that you would only get ambers. You could get just straight pairs of each caramel morph you like and then after a few years, you should be able to learn the subtle differences.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google