CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

munson plan. Am i feeding correctly?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Dee Dee
Question munson plan. Am i feeding correctly?

ok so popcorn (my butter corn) has up until now been getting 1x pinky mouse every 7days. I read a lot of other posts re feeding and gauging size of prey item and thought that maybe i wasnt feeding her quite enough. a lot of people have reccommended the munson food plan so i weighed my baby today and according to what i found she weighs approx 18grams. According to the munson plan i should now be feeding her 2x pinks every 7 days but i have heard that feeding multiple prey items is not as good for digestion as feeding 1 larger prey item. I'm in two minds. on 1 hand she isnt that big round her middle (i'll try to post a pic) but on the other hand im not sure about feeding multiple prey items. I don't want to bulk her up so she grows more quickly. In fact the quicker she grows the sooner i'll have to upgrade her viv so i don;t want her to grow to quickly. I just want to be feeding her and have her grow the same rate as any other normal healthy corn. I have 6 pinks left at the moment which i will use up before i buy any more prey items. As of now i'm defrosting 2x pinks at room temp to feed her tommorow. what do you guys think? Should i carry on in this way until she hits 25grams (i think thats the next step up)?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Dee Dee
photos of popcorn:-

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
carnivorouszoo
Where di you hear that feeding one big item was better than multiple small ones? Because everything I have read said that many small items were better than one large. . . .including Kathy Love's book . . . Looking at your snake it should not take but a few feeds of dbl pinks to get her over the hump to peach fuzzies.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Dee Dee
Ok. So I have 3feeds of double pinks. Would you reccomend I buy peach fuzzies when I use up the pinks? Maybe weigh her 1st? Or carry on with double pinks for a bit. Sorry to ask soo many questions. I'm still learning :/

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
bitsy
There are no hard and fast rules - the main thing is to avoid overfeeding. The Munson Plan is a great set of guidelines but your snakie won't take any harm if you depart from them while you're finishing up what you've already bought. I'd just carry on with double pinks until you've used them up. No need for them to go to waste.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
carnivorouszoo
Yeah the 3 feeds of dbl pinks will prep her for the peach fuzzies because weight wise they are about the same 2 pinks = 1 peach fuzzy roughly. How long she will be on peachies before going to full fuzzies I do not know, each snake is different. But I think your little one looks to be fed just fine

Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Dee Dee
Smile

"But I think your little one looks to be fed just fine"
Oh! thankyou carnivorouszoo & Bitsy. You're advice is very much appreciated. I don't know why but I actually welled up a lil at this comment. Relief I guess. Im new in the world of corns & I'm always worried I'm not doing something right. I want popcorn to have the best possible life I can give her. She is my baby & I'm very proud of her

Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
carnivorouszoo
Believe me I know exactly how you feel. I am right there with you on the worrying about feeding right lol I have 9 hatchlings I have to convince that they can not live on air and water alone lol.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
Dee Dee
Aw! Well I hope everything goes ok. I want to breed in future. Down the line a couple of yrs & hatchlings not feeding is 1 of my biggest worries.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
AlexEarl
i had a problem like this with my largest corn, he isnt fully grown and i am new to introducing larger items to him as he was my first snake, so i just guess what he should be eating by his weight and by the size of the prey next to his body (with the munson plan as a guideline). although i did feed him double fuzzies for a bit longer then i should of and when he moved up to 1 small mouse he only had to eat 3 and then was big enough to take 2 small mice at a time. i guess its better to keep them on a smaller prey item if your not sure, instead of trying to feed them something that is to big for them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google