CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Nikon D3200

Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
HerpsOfNM
I've done a little digging, but haven't been able to find the 2 lens bundle with the red body. BestBuy lists it in black with 2 lenses and a Nikon soft case for cheaper than the Cameta bundle, but you'd have to add an SD card and possibly a backpack if you'd prefer that over the soft case. Couple that with possible tax for buying local at Best Buy and the Cameta bundle seems pretty great for what's out there at the moment; plus you get the red body that you like.

I'd go that route unless you can find better.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
ructo
Yeah, that is basically what I was thinking. Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #13
ZoologyGirl
Another thing maybe keep in mind is refurbished lenses. I bought a 55-300mm factory refurbished Nikkor for a pretty good deal. Had it for a couple years, never had an issue with it.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
ructo
Would a factory refurbished set/bundle be a bad idea? I might get a factory refurbished lens, but the camera itself seems like it would be a risky buy.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
HerpsOfNM
ZoologyGirl actually brings up a good idea. My Nikkor 60mm micro came from Cameta Camera as a refurbished lens. The reason it was refurbished - it was a store demo lens. Many times the refurbished equipment are store demo items or even as simple as opening the box and messing with the item (which still sounds like a "demo").

That said, I'd only go refurbished on a body if it met 4 criteria:
  1. Is the store reputable (i.e., not eBay, though some stores do sell on it)?
  2. Is the item refurbished by Nikon?
  3. What is the shutter actuation number (this is particularly of your interest as prosumer and pro bodies typically have stronger shutter mechanisms with higher actuation ratings/life)?
  4. If 2 is met, is the savings of purchasing reburbished and only getting a 90-day warranty from Nikon (15-20% or more) worth it versus getting NIB and longer warranty coverage (1 year for bodies and 5 year for lenses I believe)?

A decent read:
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00but7

Sometimes refurbished is the only route to go. We're all on a budget whether rich or poor.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
ructo
That is basically what I was thinking because then I could get a 55-300mm lens in my price range rather than a 55-200mm as long as I buy both refurbished.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
ructo
Right now I am looking at a 55-300mm nikon lens refurbished on cameta cameras, and a red nikon d3200 with 18-55mm on the nikon website. This would add up to $640 which doesn't seem bad as long as they both work for a good amount of time. On average I probably wouldn't take more than 5 pictures a day, so it would hopefully last many years, but of course, there are the days when you can't help but take hundreds of photos.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
ructo
I assume both these sources would be okay for getting a refurbished camera. I know cameta has good reviews, but how are they on refurbished sales?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
ructo
Although I might get the body off amazon from beach camera because it would be free shipping, and I am not sure if nikon is. They have the same price and beach has good reviews.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google