CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Smelly eggs?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 AM   #11
Rich Z
Yeah, my belief was that covering the eggs was better for them because mold spores are spread via being airborne and I preferred keeping them from landing on the surface of an exposed egg. When an egg goes bad underneath the vermiculite the mold will form kind of a shell around the egg when mixing with the medium, which I believe helps keep the mold spores a bit in check better.

Eggs seems to have a natural resistance to mold, which makes sense since they are normally laid in an environment that tends to be damp and warm. But I guess they can only take so much abuse before succumbing. Best of my recollection, I never had a good egg get moldy. I have had the damp paper towel that I laid on top of the vermiculite get moldy, however.

Now with that being said, when the eggs were within a week of due date for hatching, I would uncover them so it was easier to keep track of them pipping. And I think it makes it easier for the baby snake to emerge and get it's first breath of air without chancing getting vermiculite in it's mouth.

One thing I noticed that unlike what a lot of people report for their eggs hatching, mine NEVER got dimpled prior to hatching. They always stayed full and plump up till the instant the baby poked through with the egg tooth. Not really sure why that was.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #12
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

One thing I noticed that unlike what a lot of people report for their eggs hatching, mine NEVER got dimpled prior to hatching. They always stayed full and plump up till the instant the baby poked through with the egg tooth. Not really sure why that was.
It's funny, my experience with hatching is the same as yours. I didn't see any dimpling on the eggs. They were full right up to the time the hatchling started to emerge. My corns seem to do their thing differently than what is usually reported. My males seldom go off feed during mating season. This is the first year one of my young males stopped eating, but even that one ate when an ASF was provided. My females seldom go off feed prior to laying. This year one went off feed, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, she took an ASF the day before she laid. I have had females lay before the customary pre-lay shed. This year one laid and two days later shed. They sure keep a person on their toes. I tell corn keepers that few things are absolute with corns, there are the customary guidelines, but nothing is 100% absolute.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
GitaBooks
So, I waited a day for the moist paper towel to help the dented egg, but nothing happened (if anything it got worse) so I soaked some sphagnum moss and squeezed it until it didn't drip and then put that over the dented egg.
Hopefully that will raise the humidity in the entire container, as I've heard people say there should be condensation or it should be moist looking and it doesn't look that way at all. The other fertile eggs seem to be doing well though, so that's a plus.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
GitaBooks
I'm feeling quite discouraged. The 3 or 4 good eggs were doing great, the humidity had raised because of the moss, and then today it got too humid and most of the eggs got moldy (the white, fluffy kind). I tossed the rest of the bad eggs that weren't attached to good eggs and wiped the rest of the eggs off with a paper towel. I also cleaned out the whole container and replaced the vermiculite and removed the moss.
The dented egg is back to normal, but I'm worried its too late, especially this early into incubation.

Chicken eggs were so much easier then this. You could do almost anything and they would be okay. They never molded, rarely smelled, and just putting a couple bowls of water in was enough for the humidity. Even somewhat dirty eggs usually hatched. I hatched hundreds of them (under the mommas and in the incubator). I can't even hatch one snake egg. : (

Old 06-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
GitaBooks
The egg started denting in again but mold was also growing (hard to tell how to get the right humidity in that case). Managed to remove 2 more rotten eggs from the egg clusters. Wiped off the remaining eggs, added some antifungal powder to the infertile eggs I couldn't remove (and some to the worse looking fertile eggs). Cleaned out the whole container again and replaced the substrate. Added some moss over the egg that is denting. Hoping for the best, but this sure is a lot of effort so early on.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #16
GitaBooks
Got five potentially good eggs (and one bad egg that's stuck to a good egg) left. The moss helped the dented egg fill-in, but mold grew again, so I had to clean them off for the third time (managed to remove 2 more bad eggs while doing so).

Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Twolunger
Well you are gaining in experience. Next year should be easier. Hope you get al least a few babies poking out this year.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #18
MysticExotics
I hope you get a few healthy babies. I know it's frustrating when the clutch doesn't go as planned.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Twolunger
Last year I had my clutches all set up the same way, and incubating at 82 degrees. All the clutches hatched except one. On the 57th day the whole clutch died at the same time. I have never had a whole clutch of fertile eggs die like that. No glitches with the incubator as I have a high and low temp alarm on it, and a clutch hatched after that one. Go figure...

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #20
GitaBooks
Thanks guys! 3 of the remaining eggs are looking good so far. Waiting 2 months sounds so hard!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google