• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"How Snakes Survive Starvation"

Plissken said:
I don't really see your point in stating that animals die all the time in scientific research.

The point was that this wasn't some egregious breach of protocol. Animal death is a natural part of research. It wasn't offered as justification of anything, and I wasn't commenting on whether or not it is right. The term "right" hardly applies, IMO. Who am I to say what is right? It's more just about what each person can live with. Do I like that animals have to die? No. But I can see the value in the research that takes place as a result of those few sacrificed animals.

Plissken said:
Lol, I knew that post would rock the boat... I love this site :grin01:

First of all, this thread is only on page two. Receiving a couple of responses from a couple of individuals known to work in scientific research hardly indicates rocking the boat. :rolleyes: Posts about names for new morphs and feeding corns cooked chicken get a bigger rise out of members than what you posted.

Plissken said:
I didn't really say the information was useless.

What else am I supposed to read into statements such as these...

Plissken said:
...is living a useless existence.
Plissken said:
I, personally, don't see how it benefits man or beast.

How can animal research conducted by humans with no benefits to "man or beast" be considered useful?

I have to agree with Stephanie's statement about the logical soundness of your questioning. If you are a strict vegan, that's one thing. But, if not, then how do you decide where to draw the line on what is right and what is wrong?
Regardless of your diet, you obviously believe it isn't right to conduct this research that improves our understanding of animal physiology, could directly benefit populations of wild animals of many species, and at some point contribute to improving human welfare. HOWEVER, you are perfectly okay with keeping cornsnakes in capitivity when larger numbers (far more than the 62 in this study) die every year and the rest are subjected to living in confined quarters and by our terms? That's not natural. Oh, right...

Plissken said:
Nature doesn't come in to it.

You know you usually hear people stating that we should mimic natural conditions at every possible chance, not the other way around. You said yourself that we force animals into captivity and they get no say in the matter. Regardless of the level of care you give to your pets, how is it "right" to force them to lead a captive life? The logic seems pretty fuzzy to me.

Another note about the usefulness, or apparent lack thereof, of scientific studies. As I mentioned previously, many people want answers now. They want to see the good that something does right now. If it isn't right now and if they can't touch it, taste it, smell it, etc. then it has no point. This isn't just in science. Society as a whole is awful when it comes to the concept of delayed gratification.
A fair amount of the work that is done in science isn't necessarily directed at problems that exist in the here and now. If we have the resources available and are capable of recognizing the potential benefit of having a greater understanding of some process or mechanim of survival, then why in the world should we wait until it's too late to start conducting research on it? The work done by the study in question could have direct applications to future conservation measures. I'm sure if the population of snakes that were studied were already in some sort of danger, then your definition of what is right and wrong might get a bit more fuzzy than it currently is. Would we wait until the human race was on the brink of extinction to start conducting research on the cause of our decline? Quite frankly, with the way in which we are destroying this planet and the plant and animal habitats on it, I can easily see the usefulness of having conservation strategies in place.

It doesn't matter to me how many times someone wants to state that they aren't looking for an argument or are just expressing their opinions. It also makes no difference how many times they try to say that they didn't say such and such a thing. It's not always about what you say, but often about how you say what you do say. I'm not suggesting that my intelligence was ever in question (at least not in this thread ;) ) but I'm smart enough to read between the lines. And within your first couple of posts, I easily knew what it was that you were saying without having to see you actually put it in writing, and I would venture a guess that most people who read your posts could put 2 and 2 together, as well.

I feel like I don't get too involved in a lot of the debates that go on around here and usually only when provoked, but science and related issues are an area where I will always defend my opinions and do my best to present the point of view of someone on the other side of the fence. It's only fair that people reading threads like these get both sides.

zwyatt said:
First of all, this thread is only on page two. Receiving a couple of responses from a couple of individuals known to work in scientific research hardly indicates rocking the boat. :rolleyes: Posts about names for new morphs and feeding corns cooked chicken get a bigger rise out of members than what you posted.

Sorry for again trying to make a jokey, light hearted comment. This thread is being taken way too seriously.

Okay, so, the research "could have" a purpose in the future. According to people in the know. Let's put it this way. There was a time when the smartest people around thought the world was flat and you could fall right off the edge of it. I'll just wait and see what happens before I sing the praises off this research, thank you. ;)

Plissken said:
Sorry for again trying to make a jokey, light hearted comment. This thread is being taken way too seriously.

Again, your inability to defend your comments turns to trying to deflect other people's coherent reasoning by saying that they are taking it too seriously. If it wasn't serious enough to be addressed then why bring it up in the first place?

Plissken said:
There was a time when the smartest people around thought the world was flat and you could fall right off the edge of it.

What point are you even trying to prove with this? That's practically an argument against yourself because, if someone hadn't decided to do some research on the matter, we'd still be confined by the same narrow thinking as they were back then.

Just off the top of my head, research into dramatically slowing down a metabolism could impact things like medically induced comas, long-distance space travel, emergency survival... or not. A lot of research is aimed at simply answering "why?" with the eventual use of such information only happening far later.

zwyatt said:
Again, your inability to defend your comments turns to trying to deflect other people's coherent reasoning by saying that they are taking it too seriously. If it wasn't serious enough to be addressed then why bring it up in the first place?

In what way did I address it? I made what I thought was a fun comment, and you take the time to quote it and explain why I shouldn't have made a joke. And I'm the one who brought it up. :shrugs:

Zwyatt, because the answers I give don't meet with YOUR expectations doesn't mean I'm incapable of making my point. I've made my point already. But, you can read between the lines, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

zwyatt said:
What point are you even trying to prove with this? That's practically an argument against yourself because, if someone hadn't decided to do some research on the matter, we'd still be confined by the same narrow thinking as they were back then.

The point I was making was that just because science says doesn't make it so. It was a response to this:

Receiving a couple of responses from a couple of individuals known to work in scientific research hardly indicates rocking the boat.

So I'm talking to people in scientific research. So? I wonder why you bothered including this at all. It doesn't matter if you're the very guy that conducted this investigation. If I think you're wrong, I'll say so, irrelevant of what field you work in.

Plissken said:
So I'm talking to people in scientific research. So? I wonder why you bothered including this at all. It doesn't matter if you're the very guy that conducted this investigation. If I think you're wrong, I'll say so, irrelevant of what field you work in.

I included it to point out that the people who were responding to you, were pre-disposed to call into question your comments. Receiving replies from the few number of people who are naturally more likely to respond (because you are talking about what we do on a daily basis) is hardly rocking the boat. Now if you received a bunch of replies from people with all sorts of various jobs completely unrelated to the subject you were talking about, then that's different. But you commented on science and I was merely pointing out that you were getting replies from scientists...that's hardly unexpected or boat rocking.

My only problem is that your comments and your subsequent defense of them reflected little understanding of scientific research. What you like to refer to as "my expectations" are not just based on my understanding of research. These aren't armchair opinions I'm throwing out there based on a gray area of ethics and morals. My understanding and knowledge of the purpose and usefulness of the scientific process don't just come from my individual feelings but rather the analysis and synthesis of years of studying science. My expectations? My only expectations are that someone who is willing to make comments on a subject is then willing and able to discuss them rationally and logically. Repeatedly suggesting that other people are just "taking it too seriously" does not count as a logical argument.

The ultimate point is that you made an opinionated statement that reflected poor understanding of a subject and that could have given others the wrong impression about it. How are other people supposed to make judgements for themselves if they only receive half the story? What if every one who read your comments just thought "Yeah, that's right!" without ever thinking about the other side of things? If that were the kind of world we live in, it would be a sad state of affairs. The sad thing is that many people are perfectly willing to just read one side of something and come to a conclusion. I was only trying to prevent that from happening. As someone who works in the area you commented on, I merely stated the prevailing point of view on scientific research as I believe it would be presented by the scientific community at large. Neither my view nor yours required any further elaboration or defense, but you chose to continue the dialogue.

zwyatt said:
I
The ultimate point is that you made an opinionated statement that reflected poor understanding of a subject and that could have given others the wrong impression about it. How are other people supposed to make judgements for themselves if they only receive half the story? What if every one who read your comments just thought "Yeah, that's right!" without ever thinking about the other side of things? If that were the kind of world we live in, it would be a sad state of affairs. The sad thing is that many people are perfectly willing to just read one side of something and come to a conclusion. I was only trying to prevent that from happening. As someone who works in the area you commented on, I merely stated the prevailing point of view on scientific research as I believe it would be presented by the scientific community at large. Neither my view nor yours required any further elaboration or defense, but you chose to continue the dialogue.

If other people can't think for themselves and want to take anything Plissken on cornsnakes.com says as gullible truth, that's not my problem. The article is open to interpretation. To offer a different perspective to what you say, the article only presents a scientific view of things. I, exactly the same as you, presented a different way of looking at it. That's all it really boils down to.

OK, I can see that this has turned into a healthy debate ;) So, to get to the bottom of it all, I decided to actually write an email to Mr. Marshall McCue, the person who conducted this study, and he graciously answer me back. Here's the emails:

DeadMouse said:
Hello Mr. McCue,

I found your article on snake starvation quite interesting (http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/2011956.htm?enviro). As a keeper of 26 snakes of 7 different species, I have often wondered what physiological changes snakes endure to cope with not always eating on a regular basis, during lengthy times of brumation and for mating. One species I have, the Western Hognose snake (Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus), often finds the males frequently going off of food from anywhere between 2-6 weeks. This behavior, according to other keepers/breeders, I have talked to seems perfectly normal whether in regards to mating behaviors or otherwise and very little if any weight is lost during that time. I would have liked to see stats on the growth and weight of these animals during this observation as well.

I wanted to share your article with others on a corn snake forum and therefore posted a link to it. One user made the claim that your study serves no purpose and that the snakes used in your study were unwarrantably killed. While I have tried to defend your study in the name of science, others claim that no reasonable science can be obtained from such a study. For me, I can see such studies hopefully aiding in such quests like long term manned space missions and even perhaps survivor kits for military purposes. Would you care to state your own reasons for this study and your findings that would prove beneficial to mankind and/or animal alike? I'm only asking this of you because some people refuse to read the article and yet have made up their own minds about your study based on the claims of others. I think that if you can explain it in your own words, then perhaps some clarity and understanding might be reached that the article in question could not bring forth.

Thank you very much for your time :)

And here is his response:
Marshall McCue said:
I am glad that you found this experiment interesting. For me, having studied the digestive adaptations of snakes, the adaptations that snakes demonstrate to cope with long term fasting seemed like a natural academic progression - especially because no serious efforts have devoted resources to the remarkable abilities of these animals.

I am glad that you understand the potential clinical importance of such experiments, but another reason to investigate physiological responses among snakes, was to better understand the evolutionary relationships between ecology and physiology of animals generally. Understanding how animals are able to adapt to difficult/challenging environments might help us predict the impact of eminent climate changes as well as shed light onto the obvious evolutionary success of the snakes in general- which now account for nearly half of all the living reptile species.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Marshall D. McCue, Ph.D. Candidate

I hope that can shed some light on the subject of what his study was for :)

Back