CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Question

Old 09-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Aehill
Feeding Question

More of a question than a problem, really. Is it ok to feed a young, growing corn snake rat pups? If not, why not? I have a roughly 16 month old female palmetto who's around two feet long (+/-). The rat pups are between 1 and 3 days old and aren't too big for her (less than 1 1/2 times her largest diameter). Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? I've heard two different stories. One on each side of the issue. Some say that rats are too fatty for corn snakes and shouldn't be fed. Others say that for a growing corn snake, rat pups are more nutritious than mice. Your thoughts... experience... TIA!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Dragonling
Rats are typically higher protein rather than fat, and only just slightly. I recall at one point reading about feeding prey animals who are still growing vs. adults, but a quick google search has left me empty handed.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Twolunger
There isn't much difference in the fat content of rats vs mice. For many years we had about 600 breeder snakes. plus other reptiles, and had to raise our own rodents. I preferred mice but my son gradually switched over to rats. The snakes seemed to prefer rats, and once given a diet of rats it was difficult to switch them back to mice if rats weren't available. So I kept feeding mice. Here's a brief chart we used:

Prey %protein %fat weight

Mice 64 17 3grams or less
Mice 44 30 4-10 grams
Mice 55 23 over 10 grams

Rats 58 23 Less than 10 grams
Rats 56 27 10 grams or more

If you have a steady supply of rats I'd definitely offer them to your corns. One other thing was that the snakes didn't seem to grow as fast when fed hairless rats, but don't ask me why.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
One other thing was that the snakes didn't seem to grow as fast when fed hairless rats, but don't ask me why.
I had similar results with hairless mice as well.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Aehill
Thank you both for the replies! That info is very helpful.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Twolunger
I have been thinking of raising the ASF (African Soft Fur) rats. They smell a lot better than other rats, and really better than mice. They have large litters and you don't need to remove the male from the colony when there are babies. They are smaller than typical rats. On the down side, they will bite, or said another way, they are feisty. Once you set up a colony you can't add other males or they will kill them. Usually you set up a small breeding colony and harvest the young as needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google