CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Feeding - amount and frequency

Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Billinms
Feeding - amount and frequency

I've had my ghost corn for about three months and feed him weekly. I started with one pinkie but have started feeding him two. After he eats he's still searching around his feeding cage like he wants more. Is feeding too much a danger or will they stop when they're full?

Old 04-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinms
I've had my ghost corn for about three months and feed him weekly. I started with one pinkie but have started feeding him two. After he eats he's still searching around his feeding cage like he wants more. Is feeding too much a danger or will they stop when they're full?
Corns are opertunise eaters, so they won't stop.
When you feed your snake is there a good size lump after???. And you should feed you snake somthing that is 1 1/2 time the girth of the snake. Sounds like you snake is ready for a fuzzy. Your on the right track. When moving up a food size you double up for a few weeks then move. One pinky....then two pinky...bump up to one fuzzy. OK. Your doing good.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
pitlover
I agree with Lenny his advice is actually how I fed Red-Eye when he was just a shoestring except I went from 1 pinkie to 2 and then 3 before I gave him a fuzzie, no specific reason for three just never looked into the size of a fuzzie and found it hard to judge size without my snake there (I was new at it), as for looking around his viv, he is making sure that no other "meals" are lurking so that he can have a good rest and digestion. feeding too many pinkies is not necessarily a danger but fuzzies have more nutrients and good stuff that your growing buddy needs. Have you posted any pics yet? If so what is the thread?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Billinms
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlover
Have you posted any pics yet? If so what is the thread?
I've had him about 3 months. I'm not sure his exact age, but he was maybe 8 inches when I got him. He's about 18" now.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
KaliCorn
Ive been feeding my corn every 4-5 days with 1 pinkie. When should I start feeding 2 as there isnt a big lump in her belly after. She is quite big for her age.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
pitlover
it sounds like you could start doing it now, how long have you had your Kali? if you do give her two and she takes both of them I would go to every 5-6 days between feedings so she has more time to digest her meals.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
KaliCorn
I have had my Corn for 2 weeks. She is easily over 12" and she was Born on March 13th. I have fed her twice since I have had her - both times she gobled it up good. I will feed her 2 pinkies 7 days from her last feed. Then I may goto the store and get a few more pinkies and maybe the next size up.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
pitlover
I would probably do the two pinkie feedings for at least 3-4 feedings before moving to fuzzies(the next size up) you don't wanna push her too hard, but like humans every snake is case sensitive and if you feel she can handle it give it a shot as there are fuzzies that are not too much bigger than pinkies which could be suitable, keep us updated on her progress!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Albino Billy
On that note, I have a good question for ya... I got Billy a small rat two days after we found him (he was either an escapee or dumped) I thought it was too big because he got just the head in his mouth and spit it out and went to his hide. But everyone is saying he should have been able to eat that rat and that he was probably just stressed from the capture and such.. Anyway, I refroze it (I hate wasting) and I wonder if now that he is more relaxed, if he could eat it? Or would it be unsanitary for him now?? I refroze it immediately after he spit it out and went to his hide. He ONLY got the tip of the head in his mouth before spitting it out, not a total regurge.
He is 4 feet long and I did get him to eat two rat pups but they were small for him I would think. One of them didn't even make a good lump in his belly.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
pitlover
you're right i think it was too early for a feeding probably still too stressed give it about 1 1/2-2 weeks from the day you got him to try and feed, but not the one you refroze!! throw it away, I hate waste too, but, it is definitely not a good idea to use that rat again, get a new one and try again when he is more used to his surroundings. remember 1 1/2 times his girth is the optimal size for a meal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google