CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

2010 BABIES SKIPPING SHEDS

Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
OkeeteeMom
Question 2010 BABIES SKIPPING SHEDS

"Big Cat" and "Cassandra" have NOT shed since December 17th and 21st! EDIT: Both of these babies are 2010's.

Big Cat keeps eating like a pig. Cassandra has refused her last two meals (March 2nd and 8th). Neither are showing any signs of even being blue...which of course I may have missed. They're both acting perfectly normal...I got fresh poo from both yesterday. Cassandra was even spied on last night no doubt, trying to find a new place to get stuck.

I know I can't make them shed, so I'm not really worried, but should I be concerned? Do shed cycles often get all whacked out from Winter?

Their Vivs are completely set for shed as far as humidity, moist hides and such.

Thanks for your replies!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
bitsy
I see this with my adults. Most will shed 4-5 times per year, March to November. Checking my records I can see they have an occasional shed in January and February but these are pretty unusual.

My (very quick) check doesn't throw up any sheds in December at all. I hadn't realised that, so thanks for asking the question! Interesting stuff.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
OkeeteeMom
Thanks Bitsy. I'm curious because these two are 2010's.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Nanci
Do you think Cassandra is in the clear stage? It's weird that she would skip two meals unless she is blue.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Nanci
And, could they have shed and you didn't know, and the shed is under the aspen or under the water bowl or in a hide?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
OkeeteeMom
That's what I'm assuming Nanci. It feels to me like that's what's happening with her.
Is it weird that babies would skip 2.5-3 months of shedding?

EDIT: Nope, no sheds. I clean out their Viv's really well each week. I saw nothing yesterday...and I was specifically looking for sheds. Of course...now I'll go check again.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Nanci
Yes, but what can you do? Nothing. Are they gaining weight?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
OkeeteeMom
Yes, they're gaining. Big Cat especially...but both are gaining.
Thanks Nanci.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Dreamsnake
I don't know how I keep my snakes on the same cycle; after checking their charts Nim shed on Jan 29 and Zar shed Feb 1. I had to bathe them every day for a week to counteract New Mexico's dry climate. I let Zar soak on a soggy wash cloth for about twenty minutes each time before letting him slither about my hands and in my hair. It always takes him the longest to shed since he's so lazy and wont soak himself like Nim.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
OkeeteeMom
So I checked on Big Cat today as he's been hiding out, and YAY...at least he's FINALLY blue. He hasn't shed since December 17, 2010!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shed, shedding problem, skipped sheds