CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Skittish despite having been handled A LOT

Old 07-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
DHardin
Skittish despite having been handled A LOT

Hi everyone. I recently got a corn snake (I believe she's about 5 years old or so) from a teacher who had her as a class pet. She said she was always VERY well behaved, especially since kids held her a lot, and she was very sweet. I got her June 4th, and at first it was a little difficult adjusting. Her previous owner had said she was in one of those spells snakes have where they don't feel like eating, and it had bee lasting a few weeks. Didn't worry me at the time because I have always had many animals and another snake before this, so I know generally how they are even though he was just a ball python. Turns out, a few days after getting to my house, she laid 13 infertile eggs (woah) so needless to say I felt AWFUL about having her moved around that time. Ever since, though, she's had a perfect shed and she's had six meals of adult frozen/thawed mice, every Sunday. She's really done great, but she's acting like she's still hungry after feedings. So I suppose my first question is should I offer her another? I looked around and all of the answers I found on google were mainly for juvenile corn snakes, not adults, so I wasn't sure. Also, I had taken her out quite a bit and she would just sit with me for about an hour before she'd grow restless and I would put her back in her viv, but recently, I've taken her out and she's immediately started trying to slither away from me? Not just in a normal way; like she's trying to escape. I even went to pick her up (I was totally calm and was picking her up like normal) but she opened her mouth and looked at me like she wanted to bite me? It wasn't a strike, it looked like she was just scared. Since then, she's done that same open-mouthed thing twice to her hook when I've gone to pick her up from her feeding tub to place her back in her viv. I always show her the hook and let her "sniff" it if she wants, but she still did that even though I didn't do anything different. I'm just confused, she was acting fine, and it's not like she's a baby who hasn't been used to being handled. I also find it odd that she was acting fine before these incidents, too. Any help would be appreciated.

I also don't take her out very often other than feedings, maybe once a week save for those feeding Sundays.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Gilman snakes
Maybe she isn't being handled enough? If you only take her out of her viv once a week to eat, she probably needs more interaction with you or other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Scrappyeddie77
Don't put them back when they get flighty that teaches them that they can act like that to get put back

Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
DHardin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilman snakes View Post
Maybe she isn't being handled enough? If you only take her out of her viv once a week to eat, she probably needs more interaction with you or other people.
I take her out usually once besides her feedings because I don't want to disturb her after she's fed, but how often would you suggest? Just considering that I imagine shes used to getting held every day from being in that school?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Gilman snakes
I handle every day except for 2 day after feeding.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #6
DHardin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilman snakes View Post
I handle every day except for 2 day after feeding.

Alright, I'll definitely start doing that. Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google