CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Kastanie/Mahogany/Golden/Rosy/Bell's Sunrise/Copper Cornundrum

Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #21
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepunk View Post
As far as recessive hets influencing phenotype, if that was the case they wouldn't be recessive.
You might want to rethink this statement. Heterozygous Sickle Cell Anemia is advantageous, where Homozygous is not.

Terri

Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #22
Chromatic Corns
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
You might want to rethink this statement. Heterozygous Sickle Cell Anemia is advantageous, where Homozygous is not.

Terri
It might be advantageous, but you can't see it (phenotype) You need special tests to tell if someone is a carrier. I think the statement was that you won't "see" if a recessive het is involved because you would need to be homo not het for the recessive to show visually. If it shows as a het then it is dominant.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #23
crackerhead
You don't need to do blood tests to "see" the effects of being Heterozygous for the Sickle cell gene. The rules apply for things we can see with the naked eye and those we can not. The genetics we commonly look at in the hobby are externally visual ones, eye color, skin pattern, pigmentation, etc.. That does not mean that all the traits we are not looking for don't exist. We just don't care about them unless they affect the visual morph of the animal.
Anyone who breeds corns, or other snakes, long enough can tell you that they can pick out animals Het for certain genes.
Terri

Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #24
Chromatic Corns
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21804/ an interesting read, I've always loved genetics and the discussions they produce. It's one of the main reasons I like the corn snakes, so much variety and still unanswered questions

Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #25
scmartin27
Updates?

Bringing this thread back to life... any updates on the Copper/Kastanie/Mahogany/Sunrise debate?

We're working on Golden, but haven't paired it with any of these yet (that I know of) - Joe Pierce seems to be getting out of the Golden project; myself and Laura Samson (WindSerpents) are still trying to get the project moving. Just mentioning that since Golden was mentioned in the original post. We'll have to wait for those test breedings.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #26
scmartin27
"Orange thing"?

Also, I remember that Steve's "Orange things" from 2014 might be in the mix, also? Possibly allelic to / the same as Kastanie? Anything been proven there?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #27
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin27 View Post
Also, I remember that Steve's "Orange things" from 2014 might be in the mix, also? Possibly allelic to / the same as Kastanie? Anything been proven there?
Sarah, I have eggs hatching right now from Tessera Het Kastanie X Orange Thing!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #28
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmartin27 View Post
Joe Pierce seems to be getting out of the Golden project
So, you have been in contact with Joe Pierce lately ???

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roylance View Post
Sarah, I have eggs hatching right now from Tessera Het Kastanie X Orange Thing!
I forgot about OTs! Argh! Any photo updates on those? I assume the OT in this case was a younger male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
So, you have been in contact with Joe Pierce lately ???

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!
She heard it from me.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #30
steve roylance
Striped OT

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google